You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A really handy feature for me, found in many word processing programs, would be an option, perhaps in the right-click menu, to Paste as Plain Text. Copying from a word processor or PDF very often results in the formatting copied taking me onto another page!

Thanks.

Possibly the existing Edit > Paste Without Formatting or Paste Special would satisfy your needs?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, hughosb said:

would be an option ... to Paste as Plain Text.

Hi @hughosb,

in addition to @walt.farrell's suggestion you might want to look into this little Windows utility program: PureText (link: http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/). It allows you to paste plain text into any application with a custom keyboard shortcut.

There's also a description on how to do it on a Mac: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-strip-formatting-copy-paste-text/ (> #3.)

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 hours ago, hughosb said:

Well, I am in idiot. In all my searching I never saw it; too busy looking under Text I guess. I even Googled it and din't find it.

Serves me right for posting.

You're welcome, and please don't worry about missing it. We've all probably missed or lost things in these programs, or forgotten exactly how something works :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/7/2020 at 4:59 AM, dominik said:

Hi @hughosb,

in addition to @walt.farrell's suggestion you might want to look into this little Windows utility program: PureText (link: http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/). It allows you to paste plain text into any application with a custom keyboard shortcut.

There's also a description on how to do it on a Mac: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-strip-formatting-copy-paste-text/ (> #3.)

Cheers,
d.

Simply pasting any text into windows notepad will make it plain and then copy/paste that text into any application will also make it plain. No need for some external programs.

4 hours ago, Mandu said:

Simply pasting any text into windows notepad will make it plain and then copy/paste that text into any application will also make it plain. No need for some external programs.

This is true and is something I do when at another person's computer where I have to rely on what is available. But one has to consider Notepad also as an external program in regard to Affinity. Only that it is already there 😉

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I should have mentioned that I am using a Mac. But having to copy into Notepad and then copy from there to Affinity is hardly an efficient workflow, when programs like Word simply have an option in the right-click menu to save without formatting. For my current project I am having to do a significant amount of cutting and pasting, and it is becoming laborious. At least I now know there is an option in the drop-down menu, itself another disruption to the workflow. The keyboard shortcut is four keys to be depressed simultaneously - it is like playing piano!

Thanks for the answers and suggestions. I am left thinking that a right-click option for pasting without formatting would be a workflow improvement.

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, hughosb said:

The keyboard shortcut is four keys to be depressed simultaneously - it is like playing piano!

You can always change the shortcut to something else

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.