You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer file is corrupted suddenly

• Staff

Hi @Valeriu Bordei,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I've been able to recover a slightly older version of the file from it's most recent save, and have attached this below.

I hope this helps!

20220702234105_F.afphoto

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Does this version open?

If not what version of APhoto are you on?

20220702234105b.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this, that's certainly strange to see!

I have attempted to repair your file using 2 other methods, and have attached these 2 files below. 

Do either of these open correctly for you? :) 

20220702234105_F3.afphoto 20220702234105_F2.afphoto

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
Just now, carl123 said:

Does this version open?

FWIW, this version opens correctly for me!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi @JamesP21,

Sorry to see you're having trouble! I have been able to recover your file, though I did have to delete 1 image to do this.

One of your images on Page 9 (IMG_20211221_155412) was causing this corruption when saving, so please find your recovered document below without this image -

james_moran_process_book_fix.afpub

Unfortunately the pixel information in this layer is corrupted, so I'm unable to save this image specifically -

image.png

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 12:11 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @JamesP21,

Sorry to see you're having trouble! I have been able to recover your file, though I did have to delete 1 image to do this.

One of your images on Page 9 (IMG_20211221_155412) was causing this corruption when saving, so please find your recovered document below without this image -

james_moran_process_book_fix.afpub

Unfortunately the pixel information in this layer is corrupted, so I'm unable to save this image specifically -

image.png

I hope this helps!

Hi Dan,

Thank you for helping me out. That is no problem losing the image. My issue now is the recovered version of the file is now saved on a newer software update. I cannot update my affinity software as there appears to be no registered account for me. Can you help me with this?

Best regards,
James

13 minutes ago, JamesP21 said:

I cannot update my affinity software as there appears to be no registered account for me. Can you help me with this?

You will only have an Affinity Store account if you purchased something from there (or downloaded freebies). If you purchased Affinity Publisher from the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store, you will need to log in there to install the latest version.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@JamesP21

If you are using an old version of the software and can't upgrade for any reason

Let Dan know what version you are using as maybe he has access to that version and can recover the document again using a version you can access

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know James, I have replied to your DM regarding this and I'll continue to support you there :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Recovered files are attached and they look OK to me but it's impossible to know for sure

In file "_fenix-uniform-recovered.afdesign" the group near the bottom of the layers stack looks a bit dodgy when you try to move it.

I have disabled (hidden) it in the recovered file as it does not appear to be part of any of the Artboards.

You may want to consider deleting it if it is not needed

(If you had no backups for these files NOW is the time to start doing regular backups on all files you work on)

Can you tell us where these files where stored, such as a local storage device or non-local storage device? And, if local is that drive/folder synced to a cloud service like Dropbox or Google Drive?

Note: Most corrupt files are not recoverable, you were lucky, do not rely on this forum to be able to recover all corrupt files in the future, do backups!

_fatima-iv-recovered.afdesign _fenix-uniform-recovered.afdesign

14 hours ago, carl123 said:

Recovered files are attached and they look OK to me but it's impossible to know for sure

In file "_fenix-uniform-recovered.afdesign" the group near the bottom of the layers stack looks a bit dodgy when you try to move it.

I have disabled (hidden) it in the recovered file as it does not appear to be part of any of the Artboards.

You may want to consider deleting it if it is not needed

(If you had no backups for these files NOW is the time to start doing regular backups on all files you work on)

Can you tell us where these files where stored, such as a local storage device or non-local storage device? And, if local is that drive/folder synced to a cloud service like Dropbox or Google Drive?

Note: Most corrupt files are not recoverable, you were lucky, do not rely on this forum to be able to recover all corrupt files in the future, do backups!

_fatima-iv-recovered.afdesign 305.06 MB · 2 downloads _fenix-uniform-recovered.afdesign 10.83 MB · 2 downloads

Thank you very much for the help. I'm saving it to an external HD without cloud backup, but I'm going to backup the files

Hey! I didn't realise the external drive saving was dangerous, and my 8 hrs of work has just been corrupted 😰 Would anybody familiar with fixing Affinity Photo files be able to try restore my file? I'm desperate 😭

For some reason I cant upload a file to this post but i've linked the google drive file if that's ok? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UF8h9tCPzBDnlc8pD86SrsgBpBPb-KH1/view?usp=sharing

Recovered file attached

No time to check it in-depth for any damage but it opens and saves Ok

944301550_Corruptedfile-recovered.afphoto

Hello, my file is also suddenly corrupted after working with an external drive for month without problems (and not being aware that there could be any). Could you please try to restore the file? Please reply to this so I can send you a prvate message. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, lastdeen creative said:

I also have the same problem, I have important work, I haven't exported any files yet. Please help.

Recovered document is attached

(Do backups constantly)

printing media design-recovered.afdesign

• Staff

Hi @Clara345,

2 hours ago, Clara345 said:

Please reply to this so I can send you a prvate message

I can confirm that users are unable to upload files in a private message here on the Affinity Forums, however if you have a document you need repairing and don't wish to share this publicly, it can be uploaded to the below link:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/2wagoFlatlEYD56oDKgX

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know!

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 8/16/2022 at 2:17 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Clara345,

I can confirm that users are unable to upload files in a private message here on the Affinity Forums, however if you have a document you need repairing and don't wish to share this publicly, it can be uploaded to the below link:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/2wagoFlatlEYD56oDKgX

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know!

Hello, I just uploaded the file to the link. Thank you!