You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Factory 1 - free Textured Intensity Brushes

AnnieW

Last november I published a set of Textured Intensity Brushes on this forum by the cryptic name of CTSR Lines (which makes sense to no one but me). Those brushes have repeating patterns. When creating the brushes I encountered some problems with patterns getting squished and such. 

I created some more brushes in a second set and came across an additional quirk (which offset values to use for pixel perfect pattern alignment?). So although it’s just a few months ago, it’s time for a revised set. Time to rename my brush making into something else too. I figured out a much faster way to produce large sets of brushes, cutting out a lot of unnecessary steps, so I rename my series Brush Factory.

So here’s the set again.

• Renamed
  • Aspect ratio of 1 in the source file to prevent distortion of the patterns
  • Patterns repeated 3 times in source to prevent issues with repetitions
  • This is new: adjusted the offset values to 80 and 159,4 to have the repetitions align perfectly

The Pointy and Round brush families are repeating, the Stripey families are stretched. The brushes all contain a centred line (in 3 widths, S, M and L) and repeating shapes and stripes above or above and below. The brushes with stuff above the line, but not under are therefore not vertically centred on the stroke. In the Stripey families I added 3 lines with a different center point. Those 3 are symmetrical, the extra version is vertically centred on the whole stroke.

Source of (almost all) of the patterns is a 240*240px image. This is a rather small image, so in wide lines, the edges of the pattern blur. I’ve created the patterns as a vector drawing, feel free to ask for a brush from a larger source (less blurry) if you need one. @StuartRc says helpful things about the size of sources in this post: 
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/64287-creating-vector-brushes/

When using these brushes on a tightly curving curve or a sharp corner they of course do deform. Experiment with the brush setting for Corners and the Stroke Cap to find the best solution for your project.

The attached .zip file contains a PDF with examples and nine brushes files to import into Affinity Designer.

645244736_BrushFactory1Examples.thumb.png.75f3fcb3a6b62f16c100202b52ed89a2.png

1092890361_BrushFactory1.png.1a8af0a441b39176cd661c8f979f2cf9.png

Brush Factory 1.zip

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Pietje Bogerman said:

the files are for AffPhoto

Raster brushes can be imported into any Affinity app, but in Designer you need to switch to the Pixel Persona in order to see and use them. (In AD on iPad I’ve found that I need to choose the correct persona before import.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 minutes ago, Pietje Bogerman said:

I would love to try your brushes in Designer, but the files are for AffPhoto. I can not open them in Designer, and allthought AffPhoto says I imported them succesfully, I don't see them in my brushes. Any idea?

They all import fine into Designer 1.8.0.585 for me, Pietje.

They would also import into Photo, but as they're vector brushes they're not usable (or visible) there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for answering Walt. But how do you get them in Designer? When I download brushes (I trys some other ones too) there is he Aff Photo logo in front of them. And I can only choose 'open' and than Aff poto opens. I can not choose for 'open in...' and then pick Designer. Am I doing something wrong???

23 minutes ago, Pietje Bogerman said:

Thank you for answering Walt. But how do you get them in Designer? When I download brushes (I trys some other ones too) there is he Aff Photo logo in front of them. And I can only choose 'open' and than Aff poto opens. I can not choose for 'open in...' and then pick Designer. Am I doing something wrong???

Generally I import brushes using the hamburger menu (settings) for the Brushes studio panel in the application I want to import them into:
image.png.600e52695c8db7d989f3bac20c764134.png

They can be Opened, but the OS can only associate one application with a file type, and it sounds like your OS has associated Photo with them. On Windows if you right-click on the file you should have an option to "Open with" that lets you choose a different application. If you're on Mac I'm not sure if you have an option like that available.

But importing from the application will always work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...