You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW development // close without abort

I am shooting only RAW images and permanently open them in AP. But, every file must be abort RAW development to close and with several windows i have to click for dozens and dozens of times on abort and yes or for closing tab on yes to this every time.

Boah is this annoying.

Please give me a setting to disable that. I just want to close this/all file/s without any of this.

20 hours ago, bentastic said:

Please give me a setting to disable that. I just want to close this/all file/s without any of this.

Hi,

the problem is: Photo always asks although the Image is unchanged.

Perhaps a dedicated "View"-Mode could be useful since this would not need any "are you sure"-Question when closing the Window.

somehow like this:
when opening a RAW-File Photo changes into "View"-Mode (offering several tools to view, compare and analyze images) and an EDIT-Button.
Only then the editing-tools become available and the "are you sure" Question will be shown since its useful now.

OR

just do not show the "are you sure"-Question as long as the image is unchanged/untouched.

What do you think?

kind regards
Fritz

I think a view mode is lastly again a new button to click all the time. What if you have 40 RAWs opened and working on just 3. Some new ones will be opened via explorer, other ones will be closed. A view mode is again a need to click it.

I just want to disable all are you sure questions. Yes, i am.

At least, i like the idea view mode, but here it wouldn't help me that much.

3 hours ago, bentastic said:

At least, i like the idea view mode, but here it wouldn't help me that much.

I see. In this case we have to hope, that Serif makes the Application smart enough to avoid this "are u sure"-Question if the file is unchanged.

But in general I think a "view and compare"-Persona could be useful for some:
"find best shot of the Sunset-Shooting" etc. with 2 histograms etc.
...much like "FastStone Image Viewer" does:

31 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

I see. In this case we have to hope, that Serif makes the Application smart enough to avoid this "are u sure"-Question if the file is unchanged.

The question is not asked for unchanged files.

But one could say that, by definition, when you open a RAW file the working version has been changed, because the development process has been started (data demosaiced, tone curve applied) even if the user has made no other manual changes yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

44 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It is asked on my computer - perhaps because some default-actions are applied.
But since those changes are not done by the user its annoying (as @bentastic wrote) to see this question.
I fully agree with bentastic.

Fritz

1 hour ago, Fritz_H said:

It is asked on my computer - perhaps because some default-actions are applied

Are you taking about a RAW file, or about opening, e.g., a JPEG or TiFF or other noon-RAW file.

As I said, opening a RAW file gets you a changed working copy.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But one could say that, by definition, when you open a RAW file the working version has been changed, because the development process has been started (data demosaiced, tone curve applied) even if the user has made no other manual changes yet.

OMG, photons are emitted, electrons are initiated... Please don't think as technician, in this case it is all about UI experience and design.

I agree that the behavior of the application surrounding the Develop persona is significantly less than optimal.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:56 PM, walt.farrell said:

by definition, when you open a RAW file the working version has been changed, because the development process has been started

From that standpoint, importing any image (RAW or not) gives you a "changed" working copy, because the file has been translated into an Affinity document.  I don't think the file modified flag should be set for that reason alone, nor for this one.  I suspect this was an oversight.

• 4 weeks later...