Rainer1

Changing the order of master pages

Hallo,

I attached 2 master pages to a normal layout page.

Now some parts of master page A are covering elements from master page B. I know, I could switch the elements from master page A and B, but it would be easier to change the order of master page A and B.

I tried in page panel, section master page and normal page, but I could not change the order.

Am I wrong, or is it not possible.

Does anybody know a solution. Thanks in advance for answering.

Rainer

The order on the document pages is determined by the order that you apply the Master pages, not by their physical order in the Pages Panel.

The Master you apply first will be on the bottom of the layer stack on the Layers panel for the document page. The Master you apply second will be above that on the Layer stack, and any items on that Master will overlay the other Master's objects if they occupy the same location on the page.

So, if the order on the document page's Layers panel is B on top, then A on the bottom, and you want A on top, you would remove Master A from the page an then apply it again.

If you're talking about a single page, or a small number of pages, it would be easier to adjust the layers in the Layers panel, probably.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

Nested master: A slightly different approach would be not to apply 2 masters to each related document page but to combine the 2 masters in the master page panel already by applying one master to the other. That way you apply only 1 master to the document page, where in its layer panel only 1 master layer appears but which has the other master inside its layer and at its bottom. That means the order of such nested masters is different what you need to respect when applying one master to another.

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

you would remove Master A from the page an then apply it again

Reapplying masters may be problematic if you already have filled in text and tables, etc, that were derived from a master page as reapplying them would reset them back to blank values

You should be able to use Edit Linked to rearrange the master layers if you use the Layer  > Arrange > Move to Back command on the Master B layer

Note:The pages panel does not always update correctly for all pages after the above procedure, so either check the pages or save and reopen the document to refresh the pages panel

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

16 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Reapplying masters may be problematic if you already have filled in text and tables, etc, that were derived from a master page as reapplying them would reset them back to blank values

Agreed and this is an area we are actively improving to make more "intelligent" decisions. 1.8.0 betas will be the first place these will appear to see if we've improved matters

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Hello eveyrbody,

thank you for your tips, tried them both worked. I also followed your debate and understood the problem.

Im looking forward to former software solutions.

Many thanks, Rainer