jeremyvelmonte

Colors are more saturated in Affinity than in Photoshop

Hi! I'm having a problem with my workflow because oftentimes the color that register in the software is more saturated than when viewed in Photoshop or when exported. Is there anyway to tone down and match the colors for the two softwares? 

ICC profile in OS? 

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.7.3.481.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.476.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.

Also please confirm what OS you're using, and show us the OS color setting for your monitor.

Also: Neither of those screenshots look, to me, like they're from Affinity applications, at least not on Mac or Windows. Am I confused?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.518 Beta

Oh apologies! I am using Mac OS my monitor color settings are sRGB IEC61966 2.1 this is also my color profile for Photoshop and Affinity but Affinity display is more saturated. However, when exported they are less saturated just like in Photoshop. 

First: Why don’t you give us the file? Doesn’t seem to be that secret …

Second: You write „I am using Mac OS my monitor color settings are sRGB IEC61966 2.1 this is also my color profile for Photoshop and Affinity“. This is a complete wrong workflow! Never use sRGB image profile as a monitor profile! In a different thread I wrote:

• Make sure, that your monitor is set up/calibrated correctly (Attention: Many screens can’t be calibrated, but you can adjust colors, gamma, brightness, …). Apple has a quite effective tool for that in its „Monitors“ preferences panel).
  • Use your monitor profile for your individual screen (don’t simply use sRGB, because your monitor profile describes the individual deviations from sRGB).
  • If working with RGB images make sure, that they use the sRGB profile (AdobeRGB has a wider color spectrum, but this „plus" doesn’t make its way to print output). Don’t use your monitor profile for images!
  • If working with CMYK images, make sure that they use the same color profile as your final print output does (to avoid CMYK to CMYK conversion)
  • Use the CMYK profile, which your print provider recommends for your Publisher document and force Publisher’s output routines to convert the images into the recommended CMYK profile. (The last step isn’t really necessary, but recommended – especially, if the creator of the document isn’t definitely sure about what he is doing.)

More can’t be said, until we don’t have the source files (Affinity document, original image)

2 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

Use your monitor profile for your individual screen (don’t simply use sRGB, because your monitor profile describes the individual deviations from sRGB).

While that should be true, it is a common recommendation from Serif staff in these forums to remove any custom ICC profile from the monitor settings and replace with sRGB to fix display color issues when using the Affinity applications.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.518 Beta

i read this comment from an Affinity team member too, Walt, but I didn‘t comment it, because I think it is normal, that nobody knows everything.

But definitely: A monitor profile contains all deviations of your specific monitor from „standard“ RGB. Deleting or not using this profile means that colors can‘t be displayed correctly on your monitor.

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.7.3.481.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.476.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.