Jump to content
timo906

Applying a mask on grouped adjustment layers doens't work anymore

Recommended Posts

If I wanted to apply the same mask to a few layer adjustments, I used to group them together and apply the mask to the group (see picture).

That used to, until the last update...

Now it masks my picture (it masks out the image, instead of only the grouped effects).

 

What can I do to go back to my original state?

 

Thanks!

Schermafbeelding 2019-08-22 om 11.23.24.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, timo906 said:

What can I do to go back to my original state?

It's a known bug that's being investigated but someone in support said adding an empty pixel layer to the group will cure the problem for now

(I think that's what they said?  Don't have time to find that post again)


Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, carl123 said:

It's a known bug that's being investigated but someone in support said adding an empty pixel layer to the group will cure the problem for now

(I think that's what they said?  Don't have time to find that post again)

Ah, ok! Thanks for the quick reply man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carl123 said:

It's a known bug that's being investigated but someone in support said adding an empty pixel layer to the group will cure the problem for now

Hi timo906 :)

The above is correct, we're aware of a bug currently that stops masks from working correctly with in a group of adjustment layers only. Adding a blank pixel layer into this group and then forcing a refresh of the canvas (simply zoom out and back in) and you should find this resolves the issue for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi timo906 :)

The above is correct, we're aware of a bug currently that stops masks from working correctly with in a group of adjustment layers only. Adding a blank pixel layer into this group and then forcing a refresh of the canvas (simply zoom out and back in) and you should find this resolves the issue for you!

This workaround doesn't really work for me. Yes, it caused the mask to stop covering my background layer, but it also canceled the effects of my levels adjustment layer which was the starting point of the group, putting me back to square one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to hear this, adding a blank pixel layer shouldn't affect the adjustments, unless the adjustment has been automatically clipped to the new layer. Could you please provide a screenshot of your layers panel for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, this workaround also doesn't work for me.

I tested it out with this file:

1.  I made a group with two adjustment layers (HSL sat is turned down all the way) 

1535578347_Schermafbeelding2019-08-23om13_02_58.thumb.png.4a663ee4a97b249c113df9eecb5c270b.png

 

2. I applied a mask, and as expected it masked out the entire image

1640219930_Schermafbeelding2019-08-23om13_03_54.thumb.png.bb91110a04f2e2d2d72ea6f7f608ac1e.png

 

3. I added a blank pixel layer as mentioned above and reset the image by zooming out entirely.

1918133958_Schermafbeelding2019-08-23om13_05_57.thumb.png.06842fb36d74151bcdc7bd93c7a55cfa.png

 

As you can see; the entire adjustment layer group is cancelled out, as mentioned above by ctrubac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan C said:

I'm sorry to hear this, adding a blank pixel layer shouldn't affect the adjustments, unless the adjustment has been automatically clipped to the new layer. Could you please provide a screenshot of your layers panel for me?

First screenshot shows before adding the pixel layer. Second is after adding it. Third is after adding the pixel layer and unchecking the levels adjustment to demonstrate that the levels adjustment is having no effect on the photo. Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.05.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.06.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.06.34 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your examples, I'm sorry to see this hasn't helped and I'll be updating our development log now with these findings.

In the meantime, a workaround for this issue can be found below -

Firstly, delete the newly added blank pixel layer. Secondly, select the mask from the group and duplicate this for as many adjustment layers that you have grouped. Now, nest each mask layer against each adjustment layer. You should now find the masks are applied correctly, to the adjustment itself and not the pixels beneath, as can be seen in my screenshot -

image.png

I hope this resolves things for you - apologies for any inconveniences caused!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, fix this issue, because of such problem the Affinity is unfortunatelly useless for me. I had to go back with my works to Photoshop.

Making multiple identical masks for every adjustment layer is not a good solution.

Could You tell us when this problem will be fixed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 6:03 PM, inkas said:

Please, fix this issue, because of such problem the Affinity is unfortunatelly useless for me. I had to go back with my works to Photoshop.

Making multiple identical masks for every adjustment layer is not a good solution.

Could You tell us when this problem will be fixed?

Agree -- I'm trying to be patient but honestly I feel this should have been addressed by now. It's no small thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dan C said:

This issue will be fixed in our next beta v1.7.3 - we hope to have this released shortly, keep an eye on the following section of the Forums -

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/61-affinity-photo-beta-forums/

Great, the problem is fixed in the new beta (...3.476)

 

Cheers


Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 :   Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.3.476 :    Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471:  Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.3.476:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.3.475:   Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471:    Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1903 Build 18362.295)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×