Jump to content
Pixelkobold

Better link or embedd a lot of picture files?

Recommended Posts

Hey there

what is the better alternative handling a lot of photos in Publisher at the moment?

I do a photo yearbook for my daughter with probably a few hundred photos (I dont know exactly yet how much it will be).
I am not through with it yet (doing November at the moment) and I see that when you open the document, Publisher needs a lot of time to open all the pages (e.g. load the linked photos)
In the meantime the PC reacts sluggish for minutes.

When all is loaded there is no performance problem anymore, but during loading the document there is no working possible

I wonder though, if it would be better if I embedd the photos instead of linking them... any suggestions to that?
Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a trade off. Small file size with linked files and it takes time to open or embed them and it may take a few seconds to open but there it is.

You MIGHT try doing a save as and then changing the links to embedded. Then load it and see what you have gained


Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 & beta 1.7.2.464  Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 beta  1.7.2.464 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.422 beta  1.7.2.458

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rick G said:

It's a trade off. Small file size with linked files and it takes time to open or embed them and it may take a few seconds to open but there it is.

You MIGHT try doing a save as and then changing the links to embedded. Then load it and see what you have gained

there you have a point I not thought about.

I'll try that, and make a copy before doing so

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pixelkobold said:

...When all is loaded there is no performance problem anymore, but during loading the document there is no working possible

 

17 minutes ago, Rick G said:

It's a trade off. Small file size with linked files and it takes time to open or embed them and it may take a few seconds to open but there it is.

Serif should asymmetrically load ("lazy load") images. It would speed up overall load times.

Under the current manner of loading a document, I would still leave them linked myself.


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what the total size of all the images are but embedding them may also make the APub document sluggish and extremely large.

If that is the case you may want to consider making a copy of all the finalised images so far, then replace them with low-resolution versions to use as placeholders until you are finalising the document then just copy back the original images.

By using the same file names and folder for the low-res images changing over should be easy

There are many free programs that provide a quick and easy way to batch generate the low-res versions of your existing files if you don't currently have one.

 

Similarly, if you (temporarily) just move the finalised images to a new folder, APub will automatically generate low-res versions but you may get fed up with all the "missing images" warning messages.


Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Not sure what the total size of all the images are but embedding them may also make the APub document sluggish and extremely large.

If that is the case you may want to consider making a copy of all the finalised images so far, then replace them with low-resolution versions to use as placeholders until you are finalising the document then just copy back the original images.

By using the same file names and folder for the low-res images changing over should be easy

There are many free programs that provide a quick and easy way to batch generate the low-res versions of your existing files if you don't currently have one.

 

Similarly, if you (temporarily) just move the finalised images to a new folder, APub will automatically generate low-res versions but you may get fed up with all the "missing images" warning messages.

yes that would be a good work around. I use JPEGMini, which is awesome for such jobs. I give it a try

Anyway, as soon all the pages are completely loaded (which takes a few minutes when you have linked photos), the publisher runs smooth.

I used to use InDesign with photobook projects similar to this in count of pictures, and never good such issues when loading a document. (though I realize Publisher is in its first version while ID is in v14 or sth like this.)
so probably this could be a posting for the bug or request area?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a point in linking. I'd like all images of a design in the file. You move the file, you won't get all your images unlinked.

Maybe if you created a huge number of documents, 100's and they all stay on your computer, linking would be a good idea.

Even with software that has much larger file sizes, like Final Cut Pro X, where you can get libraries going over 100GB, embedding is better. 

In Affinity, I always embed. Just working on a 60+ page document. 

Not the slightest bit sluggish, as long as you are using JPEGs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linking (and changing the files externally by other editors  when needed, so they update automatically in many documents where they are linked) is an amazing neck saver for things like card/board games, and many types of large and complex projects. Specially useful when you need an update to replicate to all documents. IMO, embedding has its advantages, linking has its own ones. I would need them both.


Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×