You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master design template in Designer

19 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

Yes being able to set up a template file with settings arranged just as we want them would be ideal. It gets old going in and getting everything set up each time

You can, of course, setup an Affinity document in a format you commonly use, even with some standard content, and save it to use later as a template.

When you want another document that looks like that, Open your "template" and immediately do a Save As into your project folder. Then do your work on it.

Store the templates in a standard place, with descriptive names, and all you're missing is a nice dialog to display them and make it easier to select among them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can, of course, setup an Affinity document in a format you commonly use, even with some standard content, and save it to use later as a template.

When you want another document that looks like that, Open your "template" and immediately do a Save As into your project folder. Then do your work on it.

Store the templates in a standard place, with descriptive names, and all you're missing is a nice dialog to display them and make it easier to select among them.

I have one for music flyers that has the size, format etc set up and then also some layers and groups that i use in every one. Saved much time on the workflow! A couple of times I have forgotten to do the Save As and ended up saving a current project in my template name file but it was easy enough to delete everything and resave it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I've almost managed to recreate Photoshop's behaviour by setting my file access permissions to read-only (Mac). Instead of creating a new document, as Photoshop does with a template document, Affinity prompts to Save As when I save after making changes. No more undoing changes on the template!

David

35 minutes ago, DavidAsch said:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I've almost managed to recreate Photoshop's behaviour by setting my file access permissions to read-only (Mac). Instead of creating a new document, as Photoshop does with a template document, Affinity prompts to Save As when I save after making changes. No more undoing changes on the template!

David

I just use the get info window and lock the file I wish to use as a template. I can open it but cannot save it, so I can then Save As... 

The one (and probably only) advantage is that if I forget to include something in the template fixing it is relatively easy, just untick the Locked tick and then make the change and save and tick the box again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I just use the get info window and lock the file I wish to use as a template. I can open it but cannot save it, so I can then Save As... 

The one (and probably only) advantage is that if I forget to include something in the template fixing it is relatively easy, just untick the Locked tick and then make the change and save and tick the box again.

Ah yes, of course. Both do the same but locking is slightly easier!