Jump to content
Friksel

Please make the resource manager dockable/embeddable like studiopanels

Recommended Posts

Having the resource manager just floating around somewhere is causing it to be in the way all the time. Having to open and close it isn't ideal either. 

Please make the resource manager panel dockable and embeddable as a tab in the studio area, like studio panels do. So we can arrange them within the studio panels/tabs. (If there are people really like it to be floating around as it is, they can still take it out of the studio area let it float.)

I also wonder why it isn't a studio-panel and so be available in the studio menu.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Resource Manager is (and must be to see all the data) much wider than the other studio panels. In my opinion, too wide to be usable as a studio panel. I would have to leave it undocked, and normally hidden.

Personally, I seldom need it, so I just open it when needed. If I used it more often, I would probably assign a keyboard shortcut to it, but I haven't needed that yet.

Whether it's an undocked studio panel, or implemented as it is today, the hiding and unhiding would have the same possibility of a keyboard shortcut, so I suppose it wouldn't matter much to those of us who don't want it in the studio. :)

 


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The Resource Manager is (and must be to see all the data) much wider than the other studio panels.

It's no problem to make it smaller. That's just a design choice.

Just a quick tryout and I wouldn't miss anything in a panel like this: all the same information is still there. And it could even be smaller if we replace the placements with icons (we only need two: embedded and linked).

And if we make the panel wider, more of the filename would be visible, so it also works with long filenames. Meet responsive design :)

resource-manager-studio-panel-.jpg.334a90c93990378202174414c902fcf3.jpg


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Friksel said:

And if we make the panel wider, more of the filename would be visible, so it also works with long filenames. Meet responsive design

Good point. Currently, if I widen the window to left or right, the column "Placed DPI" becomes wider – instead of the "Name" column, the only column which can have longer content.

Concerning panel layout I'd like to go a bit further:

  1. replace the words in the column "Placement" with icons, for instance an empty circle for linked, a filled circle for embedded and a circle with a red cross for missing.
  2. show "Placed DPI" in the list overview, not below in single selected details only. This will make it easy to detect low-res (layout) images.
  3. replace the column "Placement" by "Placed DPI".
  4. keep showing the file path. It can be helpful to know where a resource is stored, for instance in a folder which contains low-res images, or in a network volume.
  5. crop long names before their suffix (longnamewith....jpg) or add a label showing the file type.
  6. add a button "Reveal in Finder" (Explorer).

resource-manager_ot.jpg.8144180ed0dec5d1ccfcfba8309c0123.jpg


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, guys,

oh yes please!
It drives me nuts that the Resource Manager – such an important feature in layouting – is not a panel but a dialog box!

As much as I am happy to have banished Adobe I need to say: man is a creature of habit. :7_sweat_smile:
The palette in InDesign, always sitting in the top right corner above the layers, was indeed something that Affinity needs to adapt as quickly as possible!

Cheers
MrDoodlezz


MrDoodlezz Behance Profile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, Friksel said:

Having the resource manager just floating around somewhere is causing it to be in the way all the time. Having to open and close it isn't ideal either. 

Please make the resource manager panel dockable and embeddable as a tab in the studio area, like studio panels do. So we can arrange them within the studio panels/tabs. (If there are people really like it to be floating around as it is, they can still take it out of the studio area let it float.)

I also wonder why it isn't a studio-panel and so be available in the studio menu.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 12:24 AM, thomaso said:

Good point. Currently, if I widen the window to left or right, the column "Placed DPI" becomes wider – instead of the "Name" column, the only column which can have longer content.

Concerning panel layout I'd like to go a bit further:

  1. replace the words in the column "Placement" with icons, for instance an empty circle for linked, a filled circle for embedded and a circle with a red cross for missing.
  2. show "Placed DPI" in the list overview, not below in single selected details only. This will make it easy to detect low-res (layout) images.
  3. replace the column "Placement" by "Placed DPI".
  4. keep showing the file path. It can be helpful to know where a resource is stored, for instance in a folder which contains low-res images, or in a network volume.
  5. crop long names before their suffix (longnamewith....jpg) or add a label showing the file type.
  6. add a button "Reveal in Finder" (Explorer).

resource-manager_ot.jpg.8144180ed0dec5d1ccfcfba8309c0123.jpg

I like  your suggestions but prefer to keep the thumbnail and size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I like  your suggestions but prefer to keep the thumbnail and size. 

I agree, thumbnails would be helpful, too – even though they would increase the panel dimensions – so possibly only in the details section below?

The resources size in pixel dimensions is mentioned in the details section below the list: "Original size: 400 x 500 px".
The resources file size is mentioned in its first line, right position "Size: 18.3 kB".


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I agree, thumbnails would be helpful, too – even though they would increase the panel dimensions – so possibly only in the details section below?

The resources size in pixel dimensions is mentioned in the details section below the list: "Original size: 400 x 500 px".
The resources file size is mentioned in its first line, right position "Size: 18.3 kB".

I prefer to see all images, as well as their sizes immediately when I scroll through the Resource Manager. I understand you would like the RM as compact as possible but I want to have an overview of the resources and, thus, prefer an expanded panel. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I prefer to see all images, as well as their sizes immediately (...) Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

In the meantime the wishes come closer more and more to the InDesign solution, where the amount and selection of shown info columns may get customized by ticking them on/off. That is, of cause a lot more complex UI than the actual Resource Manager window.

I wonder if an increasing amount of differing requests + needs for that panel will reduce the chances to get any realized soon, or at all.


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I wonder if an increasing amount of differing requests + needs for that panel will reduce the chances to get any realized soon, or at all.

We'll have to see but different views will continue to be offered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×