You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: Stock > Search Unsplash > crash

Rather than repeat what I've just entered over in the Photo bugs section, I'll just link to it, since the problem seems to be identical.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

They work for me too.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hi Gary,

I think the Serif Team have enabled this functionality deliberately because Nicola Sturgeon has said she plans to introduce new legislation to stage a second Scottish Independence referendum, so when you do a search for Scotland on Unsplash it only crashes for anyone based in Scotland to try and dissuade you from leaving... :4_joy:

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Small development, if "development" be the right word…  Publisher (and Photo) are still crashing today (so it's not just something that has 'mysteriously" fixed itself overnight).  But I have now observed that if I search for a term which presumably doesn't exist in their keywords database, it doesn't crash.  Implying that some basic query/response dialog is successfully completing.  It only crashes when Unsplash sends back some search results…  For example: 

1409823780_2019-06-22_14-18-47(1).gif.09b811c9c05c1c5d1e4d7bce0b54ce3b.gif

NB1  Pexels and Pixaby give the same response for a similar unsuccessful search, so Photo's behaviour is consistent here.

NB2  my iMac was shut down overnight and powered up freshly today - so no need to ask now if I have restarted…

Before posting, I did a search across the forums and found a handful of Unsplash availability errors being reported recently - though without the crash I'm getting.  But go back about 10 days and there was at least one other user getting what sounds like the same experience I've got here.  And there's another current report over on my linked post above.

—— Gary ——

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

23 minutes ago, GaryLearnTech said:

It only crashes when Unsplash sends back some search results…  For example:  

Crashes in which way? In your .gif I don't see a crash – it simply looks like no result for "eeijt", (same result to me, crashless.)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Sorry @thomaso - for clarification…  The procedure leading up to the crash is illustrated in a short video contained in the post I've linked at the top of this thread - I posted that yesterday.  The animated GIF here was illustrating the opposite case where no results are found.  My point was that Unsplash - for me - was "only 99% broken".

—— Gary ——

Ah, thanks. – I had not noticed that it does NOT crash ONLY if you do a search with NO results.
(I would expect at no result rather a kind of endless search with "eejit" and therefore more reason for a crash)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 year later...

I am using versions 1.9.1 of all three affinity apps - they all crash when trying to use images from unsplash. The other two sites work fine. What happens for me is that I get the search results from unsplash no problem, but as I try to drag onto the page/document, it crashes every time, in all the apps.

Somethings up . . .

Hello! I am using version 1.9.1.979 running Windows 10.  When I search for a stock image within Unsplash from within Affinity Publisher I receive a list of results.  When I attempt to drag an image from those results into an empty layer the program freezes momentarily then crashes.  This happens every single time I use this feature.  I have installed Affinity Publisher on my work desktop (at the office) and on my laptop at home (home business).  The same exact crash occurs on two separate systems.

Welcome to the Forums @Gensael.  If you will look at the topic Frequently Asked Questions you will see that this is a problem caused by a change at Unsplash and currently beyond Serif’s control.  However Serif is working on it.  Everybody is affected, although Mac users don’t seem to experience a crash.  Just nothing opens.  Pexels and Pixabay are not affected.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9