You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please consider my feedback and requests

I know that AP and Ad are different creatures, but I find that I am constantly cussing at Affinity Photo and most of the time I just end up editing images in Designer.

I realize the reason is because AP is so much more difficult to use because I spend so much time digging around for features and trying to find things in menus that are easily accessible in AD.  I don’t want to hate AP, I want to use it. Please consider my suggestions for the next update. 

1 This aggravates me to no end. It makes me hate using AP - when I open AP it automatically goes to that hand tool that does nothing but drags stuff and not the move tool. So every time I open a project I end up screwing up my work and have to ‘undo’ because AP can’t be set to the Move Tool automatically when the program opens. Please make AP so that the Move Tool is the automatic tool that opens. 

2 Easy Document Setup. I am in there 5 times a project - at least. It's perfect right at the top. I hate digging around in the menu trying to find it every time I need to change something. 

3 I NEED the ability to see items I place off of the work area. This is a wonderful feature that is only in AD. Keeping things clipped to the canvas is so limiting. Please make it so items don’t have to be clipped to canvas. In AD the short key is /. 

4 The AP has the ability to switch things right and left, up and down and turn them, but only if I go digging around in the menu for it every time and they are not as obvious. Can we please put them on the top bar like AD?

5 And my favorite Stroke. It works much better on the sidebar. At the top it's hard to make the drop down close after you have selected what you need. To make the Stroke drop down close on the top you have to click on something away from the drop down to make it close and that’s a pain. When the stroke is on the sidebar you don’t have to do anything after selecting what you want so it’s never in the way.
Plus I am always having to go from the colors on the sidebar, to the top, change the stroke, dick around with it to make the drop down minimize, go back to the colors on the sidebar, change a color, go back to the top … Every image I create or edit I use the stroke tool 50% of the time. Please make it so there is an option in stick it on the sidebar with the colors.  

Thank you for your time.

Changes.jpg

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

Is that a screenshot of Designer? Looks like it. I think they made AD and AP different enough for very good reasons. They also are designing all their apps so we can port between all of them easily. 

You sound like you're more of an Illustrator, not a photographer, so AD seems to fit your needs more than AP. I'm not an Illustrator, so do not use AD. So I do not want AP to become AD, that would make my workflow more of a headache.

1. I would rather leave the Hand tool being the initial tool selected. Opening projects with numerous layers, I don't want to accidentally move an object when I first need to zoom in and/or reposition the workspace. I know your response would be similar to I just need to select the hand tool right away. Well the obverse is true for you.
  2. Document Settings, I sort of agree with this. What would pressing that button open up? What would that dialog contain? Everything that's under the Document Menu, or what's on the New Document Dialog? Is this to be another Photoshop type UI?
  3. Clipped Canvas, This again is based on Illustrator type programs. Most Photo Editing programs use the Clipped Canvas approach. Why? Photographers deal with images not objects to construct an illustration or drawings. Designers, illustrators, do use the space around the stage to help them design.
  4. I do agree with having the Flip/Rotate buttons, instead of hidden under a menu.
  5. Having a Contextual Panel, which is what the Stroke adjustments are, available would be handy. So long as it's not fixed, and can not be toggled off. I very seldom use this.

My disclaimer: I purchased Affinity Photo because I like what Serif is doing. Building apps from scratch to compete with Adobe, not be a cheap version of Adobe. They are taking the big 3, Photo, Design, and Publisher, and making the UI very similar so they are easier to use together. I've used Photoshop, CorelDraw GS, Paintshop Pro, and some others. I don't offer any suggestions for how I want, because I'm not the architect, I don't want AP to be another PhotoShop or CorelDraw, or whatever else. Most all the suggested changes are wanting Serif to change their apps to clones of Adobe. Why? They don't want to learn something new or a little different, even if that new is able to do what they have been doing.  I apologize for this, but you seem to want Affinity Photo be Affinity Design or something else. I don't. We must be very careful on what we wish for. We may get that wish.....

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1. In Photoshop the default tool is Zoom instead of the Hand tool, and it is to make sure you don't do any accidental action that you will have to undo anyway. I honestly think this is a non-issue. It takes less than a second to press your keyboard shortcuts to switch to other tools, like the Move tool ("V").

2. I like this idea. Yeah please, add it to Photo as well.

3. Would be cool to have this as an option, but it should be off by default. Photographers, pixel artists, and other image editors have different needs than vector artists, which is why this feature hasn't been a thing in Photoshop either. Ron.P explained it well. Still, since Affinity encourages moving between softwares, adding this as an option wouldn't hurt.

4. In Photoshop, the standard way to flip/rotate is to use the transform tools, and R click while using the Lasso tool, Move tool, etc. Wouldn't mind having it as an icon option however. Alternatively, you can press shift while rotating using the Move tool causing it to snap every 15 degrees, making it fairly easy to rotate how you want.

5. Adding the same Strokes panel into Photo would be nice and I am for it.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, edee said:

1 This aggravates me to no end. It makes me hate using AP - when I open AP it automatically goes to that hand tool that does nothing but drags stuff and not the move tool. So every time I open a project I end up screwing up my work and have to ‘undo’ because AP can’t be set to the Move Tool automatically when the program opens. Please make AP so that the Move Tool is the automatic tool that opens. 

How does the View Tool (the Hand) "screw up" your work. All it does is pan (scroll) the image up/down or right/left. It does not make any changes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Unleavened Tech said:

I have to note that you can actually organize stuff and put it where you want it to be, and you can add and remove items from the toolbar at the top as well.

What he meant was that there are buttons in Designer in that top toolbar that does not exist in Photo. You can still do the same things elsewhere, but it's a quality of life change for someone who is used to using the Designer features.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:24 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

that does not exist in Photo

Already requested.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.