You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer FX - Inside outline changes to white or transparent

When setting  the inside outline Opacity to 0%, it changes to white or transparent depending if Document > Transparent background is checked or not.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

1.6.5.123 (or .135) works the same way, and it seems reasonable to me.

How else would you expect it to behave?

Here's a sample from 1.6.5.135:

inside-outline-effect.afphoto

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

How else would you expect it to behave?

Try it with an image

Max out the Radius and start reducing the opacity, would you not expect to start seeing the "masked" out part of the image again, when using an Inner Outline effect.

(Rather than plain white or transparent)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Try it with an image

Max out the Radius and start reducing the opacity, would you not expect to start seeing the "masked" out part of the image again, when using an Inner Outline effect.

(Rather than plain white or transparent)

Good suggestion.

Certainly if I were overlaying the image with a rectangle, and reducing the opacity of the rectangle, I would expect to start seeing the image showing through. And possibly an inner outline should work like that, for consistency.

But there is a difference, because an overlaid rectangle is a separate layer, and in the case of the inside outline, that's a layer effect within the layer that is replacing image content in the layer.

Even if the outline's opacity is reduced, it should still replace image content because it is not a separate layer but an effect on the layer. It remains an outline, and if reducing its opacity were to reveal part of the image, you'd lose the outline.

So in my viewpoint, it's operating correctly.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Maybe

But why do inner glow and inner shadows work differently, in that they do show the underlying image when opacity is reduced

And in the real (physical) World if I was to put a frame around the inner boundaries of a picture then replace that frame with one that was more translucent I would expect to be able to start to see the parts of my picture which I could not see previously

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

20 minutes ago, carl123 said:

But why do inner glow and inner shadows work differently, in that they do show the underlying image when opacity is reduced

I can only guess. Assuming that the behavior of the outline is not a bug, then the difference between an outline and a glow or shadow is that the glow/shadow are manipulating the content of the image pixels, and thus varying the opacity will have a greater or lesser effect on those pixels.

But the outline, as I mentioned above, is replacing the pixels completely, regardless of its opacity.

Or, maybe there's a bug, though I don't think there is :)

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

1.6.5.123 (or .135) works the same way

Yes I know. But, IMHO it's illogical !! I just wanted to quote that...

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff

Photoshop does the same thing, however they have an option called 'Overprint' which apparently negates this—so you can have it either way, depending on your preference.

This was logged as an improvement a while ago so I'll go and give it a kick and see what's happening. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.