There has been a persistent bug in the Forum software which results in the member's location being elided with the word 'Location' in a message ID. Someone posted a solution to this a long time ago which I cannot now find. A problem is that if you prepend the location with a space it gets lost.

I have solved this by simply prepending the two characters ': ' (colon-space) to my location. I entered ': Essex' rather than just 'Essex'. You can see the result in my message information to the left.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I always wondered about that.

When I first joined the forums my location displayed as expected, but I altered the format and it went all awry.

Thanks for that, I'll try it.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

24 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

There has been a persistent bug in the Forum software which results in the member's location being elided with the word 'Location' in a message ID. Someone posted a solution to this a long time ago which I cannot now find. A problem is that if you prepend the location with a space it gets lost.

I have solved this by simply prepending the two characters ': ' (colon-space) to my location. I entered ': Essex' rather than just 'Essex'. You can see the result in my message information to the left.

John

I think you’ve found for yourself exactly the same solution as the one to which you refer!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think you’ve found for yourself exactly the same solution as the one to which you refer!

I solved this for myself some time ago. I have since noticed that others have solved it in the same way. However I have not seen this solution explicitly posted.

I'm still trying to work out what your comment actually means.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I'm still trying to work out what your comment actually means.

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment, John! If so, please accept my apologies.

I thought you were saying, in effect, that someone posted ‘your’ solution but you couldn’t find their post, so you had to work out the solution for yourself: I adopted the ‘colon space’ solution as soon as I read about it elsewhere. Are you actually saying that you think there’s a different solution? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment, John! If so, please accept my apologies.

I thought you were saying, in effect, that someone posted ‘your’ solution but you couldn’t find their post, so you had to work out the solution for yourself: I adopted the ‘colon space’ solution as soon as I read about it elsewhere. Are you actually saying that you think there’s a different solution? :/

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the solution posted some time ago was not the one I came up with. I still cannot remember what it was. So I had to re-invent the wheel by myself. I cannot remember for sure, but when I came up with my solution, I was not aware of others having invented it for themselves. This does not imply that there were not any such inventive users.

John

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the solution posted some time ago was not the one I came up with. I still cannot remember what it was.

It was for the user to add the ":" to the front of their location manually.,

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It was for the user to add the ":" to the front of their location manually.,

If that is the case, then my solution is to add a space after the colon. Hardly a great innovation, but I hope that this post may help more recent members when editing their profile.

John

10 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Someone posted a solution to this a long time ago which I cannot now find

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404, Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.145.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

Thanks @Pšenda, I thought that I was probably re-inventing the wheel.

John