You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you upload the file?

What file type are you exporting to?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I think this is a case of looking at it smaller than 100% If you set the zoom to 100% prior to exporting I dare bet it will look a bit like the bottom image.

I edited the stars at 100% to get the right look.

Space the Semi Final frontier
space.jpg

This is the moon I used from a galaxy far far away.
Untitled.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, thanks for your response. I'm exporting to a JPG, although I also tried TIFFS. However I also get the same issue if i merge visible.

The original is huuge, and would take an hour to upload, so i have uploaded a smaller version (6000px -> 2048 px). Weird thing is, if I resize to 1024 pixel, I don't have an issue. The 2048 px version is not as bad as full size, but the effect is still there

I have added a link to the photo. I will be interested to know if anyone sees the same effect

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H9F_oApB20HfIoohGL9TwtMUfE1YxA6e/view?usp=sharing

Looks to me like it's the unusual masked pixel layer causing the effect in your second image. Unselecting that gives the attached result (JPG) - Photo 1.6.11 macOS.

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.07.45 AM.png

nebula_med_2.jpg

Edited by Brad Brighton
Too many layers unselected originally -- only unselected the one target layer and re-exported

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

I've had a little play around and had other issue. I think it comes down to how I generate the star field. I do this in a pretty standard way by taking a black layer, adding monochrome noise then using levels adjustment to increase the sparcity of the star by narrowing the gap between white and black.

The problem is although at 100% screen width the stars look sparse, if I zoom in, the field is actually far more congested. It appears that when zoomed out, it is removing much of the detail. This makes it very difficult to create the kind of background that I want. It also seems to effect layers and export output.

I also have an issue that various blurs like rotate don't work very well on point structures.

This makes creating a star field more difficult than it should. Any other suggestions on how to create a start field?

59 minutes ago, hammarbytp said:

This makes creating a star field more difficult than it should. Any other suggestions on how to create a start field?

You're gonna need a lot of hydrogen...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Be prepared for a few nebulous responses to that observation!

Like the significance of what the EHT showed us a few days ago? It isn't as off topic as you might think .... :35_thinking:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7