You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to get rid of the level

At times while cropping by mistake (I never needed it) I click the straighten button. The level comes up and I cannot get rid of it. Tried everything but that thing  seems to have its own life. 

You should be able to click on Cancel, or (on Windows, possibly on Mac) press the Esc button (and possibly move the cursor slightly).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

At least on the Mac, pressing Esc drops you out of Straighten but leaves you in the crop tool.

Pressing Cancel cancels the entire crop operation and switches to a different tool.

Not sure if that is intentional or not, but seems a bit off.

It behaves the same way on Windows.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

57 minutes ago, MEB said:

This is working as intended.

It seems a bit strange that there would *only* be a keyboard shortcut to get out of that mode when it is entered using the mouse.

Suggest that the "Straighten" button change to a "Don't Straighten" button when it is already in that mode.

• Staff
2 hours ago, fde101 said:

It seems a bit strange that there would *only* be a keyboard shortcut to get out of that mode when it is entered using the mouse.

Suggest that the "Straighten" button change to a "Don't Straighten" button when it is already in that mode.

That might be a clever improvement actually—especially for accessibility reasons. I will pass it on :) It could do what Rotate does where it just gets highlighted when active and then pressing it again deactivates it.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

It could do what Rotate does where it just gets highlighted when active and then pressing it again deactivates it.

That's not how Rotate works on Windows. On Windows pressing Rotate rotates the crop box 90 degrees and leaves the button highlighted. Pressing it again rotates another 90 degrees, and leaves the button highlighted. To unhighlight the button you need to click the crop tool or drag the crop box.

If Mac doesn't work that way is this another bug in one of the implementations?

-- Walt
PC:

I am honestly not sure why to leave a function one has to fish for a key that may or may not work. By the way, a key that is rarely used and often not used when it should be,  like when one wants to escape the full screen mode. Furthermore in my imac, when I have the level function and press esc I get the golden spiral.

• Staff
12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That's not how Rotate works on Windows. On Windows pressing Rotate rotates the crop box 90 degrees and leaves the button highlighted. Pressing it again rotates another 90 degrees, and leaves the button highlighted. To unhighlight the button you need to click the crop tool or drag the crop box.

If Mac doesn't work that way is this another bug in one of the implementations?

Ah, I was pressing Rotate on a perfectly square image when I tried yesterday (I didn't realise it was perfectly square) so the button appeared to toggle. I wasn't paying any notice to what was happening on my canvas :') 

I think this can be improved anyway

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.