You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to stitch a couple of images from scanner together to make a single image.

24 minutes ago, simonides said:

What's the best approach to stitching them together into a single image? Create a new Panorama?

I think that’s how I would do it, but since I’ve never tried it I can’t say how well it works in practice. As with any panorama, you need to make sure there’s significant overlap (ideally more than 20%) between the pieces.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Always also depends on how accurate the scans are. Under ideal conditions you also can glue them manually together and remove the overlap.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I have done this with Panorama, and it works well so long as you have sufficient overlap. In practice you do not need so much overlap, since scanned photos are typically better aligned than landscape pictures. Even so,  20% would be good to aim at.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Recently I scanned into six parts a 36" x 8" black & white photo that shows 110 people standing in front of their factory building in 1944. Affinity Photo easily stitched the six scans into a single image. I cannot detect any seams or distortions anywhere in the photo. The people's faces all are clear and sharp.

I just have a Canon 9000F flatbed scanner that has a width of only 8-1/2". Thus, I had to make several scans across the full width of the photo.

I worried about the scanner lid not closing tightly because of the thick photo paper hanging out of each side of the scanner, which has a raised bezel around the platen. I guess the scanner's depth of field is great enough to avoid any problems because the edges of each individual scan are sharp and undistorted.

I was more than satisfied with Affinity Photo's stitching and the ease with which it was done. My biggest problem was uncurling the heavy-weight photo paper that had been tightly rolled in a mailing tube for the past 75 years.

I also scanned into six parts a large school diploma from 1933. In this case I had to divide the document into three scans across the top of the document and three across the bottom. Again Affinity Photo stitched them perfectly. I cannot see any seams or distortions anywhere in the final image. The fine print, fancy lettering, complex border and even the wrinkles in the paper are all reproduced beautifully.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Thanks for the inspirational post, Granddaddy - I was amazed at how successful my first foray into panorama stitching yesterday was. I had two images, one of the top three quarters in portrait format, and one landscape scan of the remaining part albeit with a fair amount of overlap and to my surprise, Affinity still managed to do a perfect stitch job despite having landscape and portrait sections!

• 1 year later...

If you don't have Affinity Photo and want a free alternative to create panoramas, try Microsoft ICE.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

25 minutes ago, Telfen said:

Serif used to have a programme called Scan, Stitch and Share for Windows 7. It is so easy to use and gives excellent results. 
It works on Windows 10 but unfortunately won't work on my Mac Mini

6 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

If you don't have Affinity Photo and want a free alternative to create panoramas, try Microsoft ICE.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/

Not surprisingly, Microsoft ICE is also Windows-only. There are numerous alternatives, including AutoStitch (on which Serif PanoramaPlus was based); AutoStitch is available for Windows and Mac, and the demo version is free.

https://expertphotography.com/best-photo-stitching-software/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Not surprisingly, Microsoft ICE is also Windows-only.

Sorry, my bad! I didn't read the post carefully enough.🤐

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad