You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

use of memory and slowing down with brushes

• Staff
13 hours ago, srg said:

Point is, if I disable the filter etc, I cannot see the effect of the brush on the photo and this makes no sense.

As MEB has pointed out, having this many live filters and adjustments will cause severe performance issues. There are old threads where the developers say having 2-3 is usually when the app can begin to suffer. They have been improved over the years to cope with the type of work you are doing but they still need some work.

Saying that, I absolutely agree with what you are saying and that this doesn't help with your workflow and might even stop you being able to achieve what you need to :( 

• Staff
19 hours ago, srg said:

Point is, if I disable the filter etc, I cannot see the effect of the brush on the photo and this makes no sense. I can also say that at times I have the same problems with much leaner files. 

Also in another  (confused) post, I pointed out that the dodge tool also have problems, mainly it suddenly stops working.

I understand that, but in some cases, some adjustments/filters may be disabled without affecting too much the visualisation of the output - you can re-enable them temporarily to check things out while you work.

One thing you can do to work around the performance issues at least in the case of dodge/burn is to create a duplicate of the pixel layer with all the filters/adjustments attached (or of all the layers if you wish), then rasterise it (right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise) to flatten/bake the effects of the adjustments/filters a single pixel layer. Hide the original layer (untick it in the layers panel to prevent it from affecting the performance of the app). Now to dodge/burn create a new pixel layer above the duplicated flattened layer you just created, fill it with 50% grey and set its Blend Mode to 50%. Perform the dodge and burn on this layer (which will use the flattened duplicate below) to help you visualise the result (without the performance issues of the live adjustments/filters), then when you have finished hide or delete the flattened duplicate and re-enable the pixel layer with the live filters/adjustments.

Having a high number of live adjustments/filters active will always slow down the app while you paint as there's quite heavy processing going on.

I wonder if there should be a preference to temporarily disable live filters that have an effect on a layer while manipulating it when it is detected that they are having a significant performance impact?

There could be a pecking order of which types of filters should be disabled first until performance is better, and they would automatically re-enable as soon as the manipulation ended (when the mouse button is released after dragging a handle, for example).

5 hours ago, MEB said:

I understand that, but in some cases, some adjustments/filters may be disabled without affecting too much the visualisation of the output - you can re-enable them temporarily to check things out while you work.

One thing you can do to work around the performance issues at least in the case of dodge/burn is to create a duplicate of the pixel layer with all the filters/adjustments attached (or of all the layers if you wish), then rasterise it (right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise) to flatten/bake the effects of the adjustments/filters a single pixel layer. Hide the original layer (untick it in the layers panel to prevent it from affecting the performance of the app). Now to dodge/burn create a new pixel layer above the duplicated flattened layer you just created, fill it with 50% grey and set its Blend Mode to 50%. Perform the dodge and burn on this layer (which will use the flattened duplicate below) to help you visualise the result (without the performance issues of the live adjustments/filters), then when you have finished hide or delete the flattened duplicate and re-enable the pixel layer with the live filters/adjustments.

Having a high number of live adjustments/filters active will always slow down the app while you paint as there's quite heavy processing going on.

This is a great work around, I don't see the performance of machines and software ever getting to the point where an idea like this would not be needed. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, MEB said:

well...I just tried twice to rasterize the duplicate layer with all the sistered layers and both times AP froze, wheel started to spin and had to force it to quit (log sent to apple of course). Thus, although I like AP in spite of other "minor" problems and glitches, I wonder if these problem are common to Photoshop. Never used it so I would like to know.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.