You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm a few days into a free trial of Affinity Photo for Mac and love it except that after adding text with the 'text tool' and selecting it with the 'selection tool', I'm not able to change the text at all.  The text menu bar above doesn't come up at all.  I've watched at least a few tutorials and every time when they select a text box with the selection tool, they're able to change the text and the menu to change fonts, etc.. shows up.  

I'm really want to buy the program but would like to figure this out first.  I read that all the features are there on the free trial.  So is there a bug or something?

Thanks

You can also later edit, by doubleclick inside the text, with the move-tool. That switches automatically to text tool and the whole text is "invisible" selected for

eg. re-size/recolor....

Sometimes you do not hit the text, or, if inside a group, the group will selected instead the text... cmd+commata for preferences and here (i do not know) maybe GUI / View /handling... and in this tab make  the 3rd last box checked!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

7 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

With the Text tool selected, clicking inside the text box will allow you to make changes.

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately with the text tool selected it won't let me edit inside the text box I already have.  It just creates a new text box.

5 hours ago, Polygonius said:

You can also later edit, by doubleclick inside the text, with the move-tool. That switches automatically to text tool and the whole text is "invisible" selected for

eg. re-size/recolor....

It still doesn't work at all.  I attached a screenshot showing that I have the text box I created selected with the move tool but the text preferences (font, color, size, etc...) are not above and I can't get the cursor to appear in the text box to add or delete anything.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 10.07.35 AM.jpg

16 minutes ago, Will789 said:

text preferences (font, color, size, etc...) are not above

Go to

view > Show context Toolbar
View > Studio > Paragraph
View > Studio > Character

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Also make sure the text layer is selected too in the layers panel when using the artistic text tool for making edits, you should then get a cursor inside your text box, as shown here ...

text_test.jpg.21e24af9ef4bc95232c316bab20aaf07.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

20 minutes ago, Will789 said:

I can't get the cursor to appear in the text box to add or delete anything.

You need to select the Text tool  (not the move tool)and then click in the frame to edit

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

13 hours ago, Will789 said:

I'm a few days into a free trial of Affinity Photo for Mac and love it except that after adding text with the 'text tool' and selecting it with the 'selection tool', I'm not able to change the text at all.  The text menu bar above doesn't come up at all.  I've watched at least a few tutorials and every time when they select a text box with the selection tool, they're able to change the text and the menu to change fonts, etc.. shows up.  

I'm really want to buy the program but would like to figure this out first.  I read that all the features are there on the free trial.  So is there a bug or something?

Thanks

'test' is not a text layer.

If you look at the Status bar at the very bottom of the screen, it says 'Pixel'

It appears that at some time, you have rasterised the layer. i.e. turned it into pixel data.

This is what it should say

test.jpg.5351d43b31b36f2c89cfab740438ff1a.jpg

this is what happens when you rasterise the text layer

raster.jpg.f0149fad35fa03edcba65e1e59369cb1.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

12 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

You need to select the Text tool  (not the move tool)and then click in the frame to edit

Yeah, but if you are ANYWHERE onany layer, you can use this method  with the doubleclick to speed up: It will automatically select the text layer and switch to text-tool and set a text-marker inside (select all "invisible" fur edit all) the text. 3 steps at once, just by doubleclick with move-tool.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

23 minutes ago, toltec said:

'test' is not a text layer.

If you look at the Status bar at the very bottom of the screen, it says 'Pixel'

It appears that at some time, you have rasterised the layer.

This is what it should say

test.jpg.5351d43b31b36f2c89cfab740438ff1a.jpg

this is what happens when you rasterise the text layer

raster.jpg.f0149fad35fa03edcba65e1e59369cb1.jpg

YES!  That finally fixed the problem.  Except that the assistant keeps rasterizing any text I create (whatever that means).  After I write some text and try to change the color, the assistant pops up saying it has rasterized the selection.  Why does it keep doing that?  And how do I undo it if it happens?

• Staff

Hi Will789,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
How are you changing the colour of the text? Selecting the text object with the Move Tool and clicking a color in the Colour panel should change the colour of the text (or clicking the Fill colour well in the context toolbar). There's other places where you can do this as well (like the Character panel). None of these rasterise the text object.

2 hours ago, Will789 said:

I was using auto contrast, auto colors,  etc... That seemed to be rasterizing.

Those options should not be rasterizing text layers. Unless you set a keyboard shortcut for the Layer menu > Rasterize menu item & have accidentally been typing it with a text layer selected, the only way text layers should become rasterized is if you choose that option from one of the main or contextual menus.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

Those options should not be rasterizing text layers. Unless you set a keyboard shortcut for the Layer menu > Rasterize menu item & have accidentally been typing it with a text layer selected, the only way text layers should become rasterized is if you choose that option from one of the main or contextual menus.

Pressing Ctrl+Enter (possibly Cmd+Enter on Mac) rather than Shift+Enter in an attempt to force a line break would also cause an issue, but a different one. That would convert the text to curves. Still not editable as text, but it would show "Group" in the status bar rather than "Pixel".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1