You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer. Redesign Concept.

kurdyumov

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for sharing your work with us. It's a pleasure to view and it has a lot of improvments I want for Affinity Designer. (like the better highlighting of selected tools, etc..)

From an aesthetical point of view it's fantastic and very pleasing to the eye. Although if you consider accessiblity and readability it's a tough one. The contrast is way too low and if people have a little eyesight issues, it's not viable, in my opinion. (I know, us UI/UX-designers have a hard time finding the balance between aesthetics and accessibility as it often compete with each other :(.)

But as I said: Great work Vitaly! And I love your icon set, they are super crisp and look great! Hope to see more of your work. :)

On 11/16/2018 at 6:12 PM, kurdyumov said:

Hello. My name is Vitaly, I am UX/UI designer from Russia. In my free time I decided to redesign my beloved Affinity Designer. What I did can be viewed at the link below. What do you say, colleagues?
View on Behance

slice9.png

It's really beautiful but look like something already known ... have you looked at Gravit Designer or SketchApp loaded in Dark mode?
They Look closer to what you did but i like the refined aspect of your work but as of version 2.0 of Affinity Suite, i believe the genius behind the thing will come up with something unseen, just look at the recent icons of the APPS and even the nex Persona icons ... it's quickly picking up so i would advice you rework it and make really crazy looking and maybe an animated prototype would help understand and raise some attention and open real dialogue.

BTW the sliders you used should be what serif start to be inspired by and implement in the current beta cycle, the old slider are just ... maybe @Andy Somerfield will tell us to wait and see what is coming with sliders (i believe they doing great things considering the new HSL stuffs that i really enjoy).

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

11 hours ago, JokeRat said:

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for sharing your work with us. It's a pleasure to view and it has a lot of improvments I want for Affinity Designer. (like the better highlighting of selected tools, etc..)

From an aesthetical point of view it's fantastic and very pleasing to the eye. Although if you consider accessiblity and readability it's a tough one. The contrast is way too low and if people have a little eyesight issues, it's not viable, in my opinion. (I know, us UI/UX-designers have a hard time finding the balance between aesthetics and accessibility as it often compete with each other :(.)

But as I said: Great work Vitaly! And I love your icon set, they are super crisp and look great! Hope to see more of your work. :)

Hi,
Thank you for your comment. I like moderately low contrast, it does not distract and allows focusing only on important elements, for example, active or previously modified ones. But maybe I'm used to it and you are really right :) In addition, in the settings of Affinity you can always adjust the level of gray. :10_wink:  I appreciate your feedback.

10 hours ago, Uncle Mez said:

It's really beautiful but look like something already known ... have you looked at Gravit Designer or SketchApp loaded in Dark mode?
They Look closer to what you did but i like the refined aspect of your work but as of version 2.0 of Affinity Suite, i believe the genius behind the thing will come up with something unseen, just look at the recent icons of the APPS and even the nex Persona icons ... it's quickly picking up so i would advice you rework it and make really crazy looking and maybe an animated prototype would help understand and raise some attention and open real dialogue.

BTW the sliders you used should be what serif start to be inspired by and implement in the current beta cycle, the old slider are just ... maybe @Andy Somerfield will tell us to wait and see what is coming with sliders (i believe they doing great things considering the new HSL stuffs that i really enjoy).

Hi,
Thank you very much. Before your comment, I did not know that Sketch and GravitDesigner have a dark theme))) I could not make friends with both editors and I don’t like their UI: (Yes, they became similar, but I wouldn’t say my concept is similar on them ... maybe a little ... :) Rather, I was inspired by the design of InVision Studio and Pixelmator Pro. In my opinion, these are the best editors to date, in terms of UI design.

I did not quite understand what kind of sliders we are talking about ?! I did not see anything new in the new beta version of Affinity Designer.

• 11 months later...

NIce work!

I think it needs major changes in the interface and functionality. I love AD but the icons and the overall look seem amateur.
No aesthetic innovation and interesting functionality that stands out from other applications.

Thanks for fresh air Vitaly

20 hours ago, Cuando said:

I think it needs major changes in the interface and functionality. I love AD but the icons and the overall look seem amateur.
No aesthetic innovation and interesting functionality that stands out from other applications.

Not being rude but are we using the same apps? I can't say I find the icons amateur. Like the interface and hope there's no major overhaul. I use mine in monochromatic and everything represents what it should clearly. Surely that's functionality... being able to do what you need to do quickly rather than faffing about because something's aesthetically interesting.

15 minutes ago, Ash Eldritch said:

Not being rude but are we using the same apps? I can't say I find the icons amateur. Like the interface and hope there's no major overhaul. I use mine in monochromatic and everything represents what it should clearly. Surely that's functionality... being able to do what you need to do quickly rather than faffing about because something's aesthetically interesting.

Yours one more point of view, If for you it is perfect go ahead with it, but I expect something else in the future is not only the aesthetic issue also of functionality.