You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotate/straighten hides corners!?

this applies especially to the develop persona where I see no way to enlarge the canvas:

If I rotate (straighten) an image, the corners lie outside the canvas and are hidden. Therefore I can't position the crop rectangle to the maximum possible area.

Anything I'm missing or doing wrong?

Is there a way to limit the crop rectangle to the image area so I can push it to the exact borders / to get most of my image a.g. if I straighten a tited horizon?

• Staff

Hi 4711,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's no way to enlarge the canvas in Develop Persona. The only way I see to achieve what you want is going to Lens panel and adjust the scale slider before performing the crop. Currently there's no automated function to crop to either maximum image size (included transparent parts after straitening the image) or to just the opaque parts.

Why not just overly enlarge the canvas in the Develop Persona using the Crop Tool, click the develop button then crop the image again once in the Photo Persona, as all 4 corners should now be visible after the rotation

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Carl, is this a suggestion directed to Serif or to me?

If the latter: MEB wrote "There's no way to enlarge the canvas in Develop Persona".

And there is still the "limit crop rect to image area" issue.

My suggestions:

• automatically enlarge the canvas according to the rotation to make the whole image visible.
  • add a switch to limit the crop rectangle to the image area

As far as I am aware you can enlarge the canvas in the Develop Persona using the crop tool.  Just drag the crop boundaries outwards

Unless this is a Windows only function and does not work on a Mac

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

See my first post in this thread, have you tried that?

• Staff

Hi 4711,
Yes, it's a little limited currently. You can always crop in Photo Persona after developing the image where you have more control over the canvas. I know there's improvements to the Crop Tool coming but at this point I don't know if they cover the points you are raising. Photo Beta 1.7 should be available in a couple weeks so we don't have to wait much longer to find out.

5 hours ago, 4711 said:

although I can drag the crop boundaries outwards the canvas, I don't see any image contents there so it doesn't help. Cant do find the image boundary blind.

Maybe I am misunderstood something, but I am not quite sure what you mean by this -- obviously, if you enlarge the canvas to a size larger than the image, there will not be any image content in the added area. But as long as that area is large enough to include all of the image content after rotation, why is that a problem? As @MEB said, you can crop the developed image after development in the Photo Persona. All you really need to do "blind" in the Develop Persona is drag out the boundaries enough for that, so just drag it out to sufficiently larger than the image, up to twice the diagonal for extreme rotations, & you should be fine.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Maybe I am misunderstood something, but I am not quite sure what you mean by this -- obviously, if you enlarge the canvas to a size larger than the image, there will not be any image content in the added area. But as long as that area is large enough to include all of the image content after rotation, why is that a problem? As @MEB said, you can crop the developed image after development in the Photo Persona. All you really need to do "blind" in the Develop Persona is drag out the boundaries enough for that, so just drag it out to sufficiently larger than the image, up to twice the diagonal for extreme rotations, & you should be fine.

I too have no idea where the problem is. I thought I was missing something obvious.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

Why not just overly enlarge the canvas in the Develop Persona using the Crop Tool, click the develop button then crop the image again once in the Photo Persona, as all 4 corners should now be visible after the rotation

All sorts of replies after this one which really does answer the 'problem'.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If you straighten image with crop tool in Develop mode, you can make canvas bigger but you cannot see the parts outside original crop until you release the crop tool. If you select crop tool again, parts outside original crop disappear again. I understand this may be stupid looking work flow.

Usually this does not matter anyway as you either fill empty area with inpainting brush and crop after that, or if you need tilted image let there be some extra white space.

3 hours ago, Fixx said:

If you straighten image with crop tool in Develop mode, you can make canvas bigger but you cannot see the parts outside original crop until you release the crop tool.

Maybe it is different for the Windows version but this is not true for the Mac one. It may be necessary to zoom out to see the new limits of the expanded crop box, but there is nothing preventing seeing the entirety of the image within that larger crop box as you drag it out, including before releasing the crop box handle.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

55 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Corners are not visible.

Yes, because you either straightened or rotated the image while still in the Develop Persona. But as @carl123 suggested, as long as you have enlarged the crop box enough, after you have clicked the develop button, you can see all four corners, & then (in the Photo Persona) use the Crop Tool again to straighten or rotate it.

Affinity Photo