You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple pencil support

I have Affinity Photo on WIndows but recently bought a new iPad 2018 and an Apple Pencil. It seems not the full set of Apple Pencil features work on iPad, only if you have iPad pro. So, will that be the case if I buy Affinity for iPad (which I am very tempted to...), will I not get the full potential of the pencil capabilities?

• Staff

Hi @plumix,

Welcome to the forums. 

What exactly do you mean by this? The pencil works with

iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd Generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st Generation)
iPad Pro 10.5-inch
iPad Pro 9.7-inch
iPad (6th Generation)

19 minutes ago, plumix said:

It seems not the full set of Apple Pencil features work on iPad

Sure, but tilt and pressure does not seem to be implemented for iPad (6th generation). But that was my question, how and if this will work on such an iPad with Affinity for iPad.

I have only tried those things with simpler pencil-enabled apps, and it does not work. But I am not skilled enough to figure out if this is on by app basis, or on the hardware basis...

I didn't find this information, I found out by trying it out on my iPad (6th gen). As I mentioned "I have only tried those things with simpler pencil-enabled apps, and it does not work." No one would be happier than me if you say that tilt and pressure will work fine if I buy Affinity for iPad even if I don't have the fancy Pro hardware...

Hi, plumix,

Look at the following. Possibly there is a problem w. your pencil.

finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-ipad-6th-generation-review-theres-reason-tablet-buy-183908835.html

The 6th-generation iPad is also the first non-Pro iPad to offer support for the Apple Pencil stylus, and packs all of its features including its impressive pressure sensitivity and tilt functionality. Using the Pencil on the 6th-generation iPad is every bit as flawless as it is on the iPad Pro. 

www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0C2AM/A/apple-pencil

Apple Pencil expands the power of iPad Pro and iPad (6th generation) and opens up new creative possibilities. It’s sensitive to pressure and tilt so you can easily vary line weight, create subtle shading, and produce a wide range of artistic effects — just like a conventional pencil, but with pixel-perfect precision.

Compatibility    

iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd Generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st Generation)
iPad Pro 10.5-inch
iPad Pro 9.7-inch
iPad (6th Generation)

techstore.msu.edu/accessories/apple-pencil-ipad-pro-and-ipad-6th-generation

Apple Pencil for iPad Pro and iPad 6th Generation. Apple Pencil expands the power of iPad Pro and iPad (6th generation) and opens up new creative possibilities. It’s sensitive to pressure and tilt so you can easily vary line weight, create subtle shading, and produce a wide range of artistic effects — just like a conventional pencil, but with pixel-perfect precision.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

plumix,

Note, the Affinity tools have lots of parameters, which are not necessarily turned on. You made need to switch from controller/none to pressure. Or in the pixel brush, make sure the dynamics are not set to 0.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

@DM1’s screenshot is from Affinity Designer. In Affinity Photo, tap on the ‘More’ button and then tap on ‘Dynamics’ on the next page. Change one or more of the controllers to ‘Angle’ or ‘Tilt’, set a percentage to establish limits for the amount of variation, and then press ‘OK’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)