You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] RAW CR2 is badly imported, not useable

Hello!

Got today my Canon EOS 2000D and tried to import some raw images into AP. Sadly the raw image is not usable at all in it as you barely see anything except an high magenta color.

Left: JPEG - Right: RAW CR2

comparison.thumb.jpg.bd0a50eacb514a00e1c273c706807734.jpg

Do I have some wrong settings or is it just like that? Any fix for it?

Thanks!

PS: I am on Windows 10.

The EOS 2000D is not on the list of cameras currently supported by Affinity Photo using the Serif raw engine (which is the only choice on Windows). My guess is that there's something in the raw files from that camera that Photo is misinterpreting. But others may have more information or better guesses.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sigh, too bad. Originally I wanted to buy the 1300D, but on Prime Day the 2000D was cheaper so I got that one (is also a bit better). Hope there comes an update, have to use the Canon own Digital Photo Professional 4 until then.

• Staff
14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

My guess is that there's something in the raw files from that camera that Photo is misinterpreting

Walt's correct here, unfortunately as the camera isn't supported the RAW file cannot be processed correctly currently. We're always working on our RAW support and hopefully your camera will be included in the future :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, IanSG said:

Adobe's DNG converter works with 2000D files - obviously it's an extra step, but it means that AP becomes an option.

Thanks a lot! While it is another step, it's not that bad as it can convert in bulk.

11 hours ago, Dan C said:

Walt's correct here, unfortunately as the camera isn't supported the RAW file cannot be processed correctly currently. We're always working on our RAW support and hopefully your camera will be included in the future :)

"Hopefully", I do hope that too but I doubt it will happen :P

Hello DerHerr,

Although I'm on a Mac I have been using Canon's Digital Photo Professional software to process my CR2 files into TIFF. I then edit them in Affinity Photo. Canon's software is free to download (we could say that we already paid for it by purchasing Canon products). So there's that two-step process to go from shooting Canon RAW files and having a nicely edited JPG or PNG or whatever. Canon's software is okay and between that and Affinity I find it serves me well enough. I am not a professional.

Best regards!

18 minutes ago, jkehoe said:

Hello DerHerr,

Although I'm on a Mac I have been using Canon's Digital Photo Professional software to process my CR2 files into TIFF.

That's what I also used, wrote that in my first response :)

But I still would like to have the support in AP, rather than using any 3rd party tool :P

2 hours ago, DerHerr said:

Thanks a lot! While it is another step, it's not that bad as it can convert in bulk.

Converting to DNG using the Adobe app also typically reduces the file size somewhat compared to the native RAW formats, so there is that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7