You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Washed & worn look in Affinity Designer

You can use Texture images to get that grungy "I love this t-shirt soooo much" look by making the texture image a child of the text, the text then clips the texture image, you can get washed out looks by using adjustments on colours.

1432146067_ScreenShot2018-05-27at16_34_47.png.1d19335c14cad6e1c6e10110b2b5d889.png

999507981_ScreenShot2018-05-27at16_26_09.png.2ce90a166534d37bad81f0103618209d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you for your reply.

I am familiar with that technique, however that doesn't really accomplish what I'm aiming for. The underlying background layer needs to show through (like in the example), that is the part I'm struggling with.

Works pretty much like in the PS tute. Load a back ground. Add a logo vector above it. Load the texture, and rasterize the layer as mask. Insert into logo layer.

Overwashed.thumb.jpg.a515c2254059618aec7fc293cedfd8e0.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

On the download page for these washed and worn textures, near the bottom of the post, he talks about how to use the textures in Photoshop. He also talks about using levels on the layer mask to decrease the effect of the texture. I can make the layer mask with texture in AD or AP, but I can't apply levels to the mask. Is there any way to apply levels to an existing mask or is there some other workaround?

iMac (24 inch, M1, 8 cores, 16 GB Memory, 2021)

iPad Pro 12.9", 3rd Generation

16 minutes ago, BobsDaubs said:

On the download page for these washed and worn textures, near the bottom of the post, he talks about how to use the textures in Photoshop. He also talks about using levels on the layer mask to decrease the effect of the texture. I can make the layer mask with texture in AD or AP, but I can't apply levels to the mask. Is there any way to apply levels to an existing mask or is there some other workaround?

You can turn down the effect by reducing the masks opacity, or even changing the layers blend modes. This is quick doodle using textures and masks.

1800424123_ScreenShot2018-05-30at22_22_58.png.ec2999cc825d041dfce510aab7118a7f.png

Soda.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

59 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You can turn down the effect by reducing the masks opacity, or even changing the layers blend modes. This is quick doodle using textures and masks.

I was attempting to accomplish this by doing it the way @gdenby did it above, which is very similar to the way it would work in Photoshop. I have attached an afdesign file showing a simple t-shirt mockup I  made to illustrate the technique. The purpose of the texture is to reveal the shirt color underneath the graphic to simulate the shirt being washed and worn. In PS, a levels can be applied to the mask layer to reduce the effect of the texture. I didn't see a way to do reduce the effect of the texture in SpoonGraphics' method or gdenbys' method.

If I reduce the opacity of the mask layer, it just makes the graphic more transparent. Changing the blend mode of the mask does nothing as far as I can tell. I realize my method is very different than what you showed me, but I think my way is what I would do to distress a graphic on a t-shirt. I am just curious if I can affect how much the mask reveals of the shirt beneath. Thank you @firstdefence for your help.

T-shirt_Mockup_test.JPG

T-shirt_Mockup_test.afdesign

iMac (24 inch, M1, 8 cores, 16 GB Memory, 2021)

iPad Pro 12.9", 3rd Generation