You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to add an image to an existing image. Whenever I import the image, it completely fills the existing image and can't be resized. So I created an additional image (afphoto file) because files in the afphoto format can be resized. However, when I complete the following steps nothing is shown on the screen. 

If I use the square tool and try to paste the new image inside a created field, nothing happens except the square field remains. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 7.40.19 AM.png

Use from the top menu "File -> Place..." or try drag'n'drop. If images are already opened in different docs, try to copy/paste them (their layers) from the layers panel over to the other opened doc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi user099,

As @v_kyr has mentioned  can simply drag and drop an image from your file browser onto your image to add it in as a new image layer or use File > Place... This can then be transformed using the move tool (V) independently of the original image.

I can see from your screenshot attached that the image you have open is nested inside a layer, and this is why it is not currently visible in your document.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I'm not Dan (obviously!) but if you right-click on the nested layer you should find a 'Release' option on the context menu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

... or select the child image layer (it's thumbnail) in the layer panel and drag it on top of the parent pixel layer, then you can remove that pixel layer if you don't need it for some other purposes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

19 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

You can only do that, of course, if you know you're dealing with clipping, and if you know that then you probably don't need to look up Help! ;)

Alfred spacer.png

Yes, but question is "Is there a way to "un-nest"?".

Link to help is instruction how to do clipping, and therefore also unclipping (un-nesting).

I think, that the knowledge of clipping will be useful for the user099.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I think, that the knowledge of clipping will be useful for the user099.

I think so too! I’m afraid I didn’t express myself very clearly in my previous post. What I meant was that you can only search for help on clipping if you know that’s what it’s called: searching the Help for ‘un-nest’ isn’t likely to get you very far.

Alfred spacer.png

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

I think so too! I’m afraid I didn’t express myself very clearly in my previous post. What I meant was that you can only search for help on clipping if you know that’s what it’s called: searching the Help for ‘un-nest’ isn’t likely to get you very far.

I know what you mean. I searched for "un-nest" and got this.

unnest.jpg.c37a4ce2a6656d0faac9260ff0f67a84.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

A search for "clipping" was much better.

clip.jpg.2fa75cb7c1736fc97ba325c19f9c1586.jpg

Aren't search engines wonderful ? ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

Hi user099,

If you are dragging the image from the Finder you are not able to resize it when you drop it on your document but if you use File ▸ Place instead you will be able to drag a marquee to set the size while the image is being placed on the document - just click and drag after selecting the image from the Finder dialog.

If you prefer to drop them on canvas directly from Finder you can still resize them if they cover the whole canvas. Zoom out enough until you see the blue bounding box of the image (although the image itself. is only visible inside the canvas area) then change to the Move Tool and drag the bounding box from one of the corners until it becomes small enough to be moved/repositioned to inside the canvas area.

16 minutes ago, toltec said:

Aren't search engines wonderful ? ;)

LOL. I don’t think you’ll get that if you search the Help in Affinity Photo!

I remember trying to search once (more than twenty years ago now) for pictures of young examples of our feathered friends. Instead of the avian results I expected, the search term baby chicks yielded lots of pictures of scantily-clad adult human females. o.O

Alfred spacer.png

21 hours ago, Alfred said:

searching the Help for ‘un-nest’ isn’t likely to get you very far.

Link to Help was not meant to clarify for the term "un-nest", but as a source of absolutely basic information and knowledge about Affinity, without which the user can not work with the application. Otherwise, he will repeatedly ask for such elementary things.

27 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Link to Help was not meant to clarify for the term "un-nest", but as a source of absolutely basic information and knowledge about Affinity, without which the user can not work with the application. Otherwise, he will repeatedly ask for such elementary things.

I see, thanks. I was misled by your specifically linking to the page about clipping (but I don't think it's possible to link to a help section such as 'Layer Operations' without linking to a particular topic within that section).

Alfred spacer.png