You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP vs AD (to get or not to get the 2nd one)

Hi mates,

I'm an Affinity Photo user, and I really like it.

I'm considering to get Affinty Designer. But I'm asking myself if I really need it.

Of course, I don't "need" (I can do things using AP or software that I use for different purposes like CSP or Anime Studio).

But just comparing it to AP, what can I do in AD that I can't in AP? (or what thing I can do faster in AD).

Thanks in advance!

As a quick reference, here are some of the key points I can tell you about right now.

There are some dedicated features in Designer that you can only produce there (if you open a file with these in Photo you have some control over them, like copying and editing):

• Symbols
  • Artboards
  • Transparency Tool

And there are other things like these, that you can only access/edit in Designer:

• Assets Panel
  • Constraints Panel
  • Vector Crop Tool
  • Corner Tool
  • [Vector] Brush Panel
  • Outline, Vectors and Pixel Retina Views

Additional stuff like:

• Dedicated Stroke Panel
  • Dedicated buttons on the Toolbar for flippling objects in Vertical and horizontal directions

Maybe there is something more important, but hope someone else can come and complete this information

Best regards!

I hope you enjoy the benefits Designer brings by itself (it's the one I use the most, but I also have Photo).

Also, for future versions, more features will come, and make each program more focused on some tasks; the one Tool I am waiting for the most is the Mesh warp/distort tool.

Best regards!

14 hours ago, rintin said:

Hi mates,

Hi rintin. 

I started with just Photo and bought Designer later. I think it was worth the purchase.

14 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Maybe there is something more important, but hope someone else can come and complete this information

Best regards!

To add a couple of things to what Mithferion said.

Pages with bleed

Vector brushes

Pencil tool

Symbols !

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.