You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Noticeable Darker than Camera

Hi, I have been having this problem for a while now and was wondering if there was a fix for it. When I view my pictures in camera and on Nikon software like ViewNXI it looks much brighter than it does on Affinity Photo. I have windows 10.

Here is an example. 

ViewNXI - Vo3x8bU.jpg

Affinity - UnxqVj9.jpg

That is RAW file. You are supposed to edit it to make it optimal.

That said, different applications do different automatic preprocessing to RAW images. Nikon apps may read camera produced jpeg optimization instructions, some other apps do some preprocessing developer has deemed necessary. AP does not much preprocessing and it is up to user to adjust image. (And now I wish there was an "auto" button in develop.)

13 minutes ago, Fixx said:

AP does not much preprocessing and it is up to user to adjust image. (And now I wish there was an "auto" button in develop.)

The Affinity Photo Develop Assistant gives users some control over the settings applied. For Macs, it looks like this:

59fd8f9f7c134_DevelopAssistant.png.60d197a18f72e462a0be3ed8d44194a8.png

For Windows it will be different.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well Nikon's own RAW software probably may use some auto amount of their Active D-Lighting and/or Picture Control settings here (if those are activated in the cam), which then do enhance and influence an image brightness. Other third party RAW software mostly doesn't know how to handle these Nikon vendor specific features/settings and thus you will have to dial in more brightness manually there by altering the image settings yourself accordingly to your liking.

Further when you compare the histograms of both you can see that the Nikon software gives you as default a more evenly distributed and exposed image, AP in contrast does not as default here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 minutes ago, toltec said:

Not a lot different

Well, for Macs we get "Noise reduction" & for Windows you get "Noise correction." :D

But seriously, the only significant differences are the choice of RAW engines (because for Macs the alternative is the one built into the Mac OS) & the Map Default Region setting, which (I think) hooks into the Mac OS service that displays maps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But seriously, the only significant differences are the choice of RAW engines (because for Macs the alternative is the one built into the Mac OS) & the Map Default Region setting, which (I think) hooks into the Mac OS service that displays maps.

The Windows version doesn’t offer a choice of Raw engines (because Windows doesn’t have one built in).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The Windows version doesn’t offer a choice of Raw engines (because Windows doesn’t have one built in).

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had read somewhere on the forums that there was at least one other engine that might appear as a choice if it was installed (maybe a third party one?) but I could easily have misunderstood what was meant.

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well Nikon's own RAW software probably may use some auto amount of their Active D-Lighting and/or Picture Control settings here (if those are activated in the cam), which then do enhance and influence an image brightness. Other third party RAW software mostly doesn't know how to handle these Nikon vendor specific features/settings and thus you will have to dial in more brightness manually there by altering the image settings yourself accordingly to your liking.

Further when you compare the histograms of both you can see that the Nikon software gives you as default a more evenly distributed and exposed image, AP in contrast does not as default here.

I currently do have D-lighting active in my camera, and I am using Neutral picture control. Do you think I should disable D-lighting or something? What type of Picture control would affinity have the easiest time understanding? 

17 hours ago, Joshua1 said:

I currently do have D-lighting active in my camera, and I am using Neutral picture control. Do you think I should disable D-lighting or something? What type of Picture control would affinity have the easiest time understanding? 

No these are pretty Ok settings (fine as they are) for Nikon cams and Nikon related software, as you can see from the well balanced histogram Nikon ViewNX-I or Capture NX-D will show you. - The point is just, that other no Nikon RAW converter software, doesn't know mostly to make any use of those Nikon custom vendor settings and thus you have to tweak things differently, more manually, with other third party software here. Obviously Affinity and other raw converter software don't know Nikons own RAW format as well as Nikon themself, so you have to setup/adjust whitebalance, exposure adjustments etc. with such third party software explicetely in order to yield similar results!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I decided to do a little test and found that if I turn off D-Lighting and set Picture Control to standard Affinity and ViewNX-I yield nearly the exact same result.

ViewNXI - tfzlx4p.jpg

Affinity - Y6L5mzh.jpg

5 hours ago, v_kyr said:

No these are pretty Ok settings (fine as they are) for Nikon cams and Nikon related software, as you can see from the well balanced histogram Nikon ViewNX-I or Capture NX-D will show you. - The point is just, that other no Nikon RAW converter software, doesn't know mostly to make any use of those Nikon custom vendor settings and thus you have to tweak things differently, more manually, with other third party software here. Obviously Affinity and other raw converter software don't know Nikons own RAW format as well as Nikon themself, so you have to setup/adjust whitebalance, exposure adjustments etc. with such third party software explicetely in order to yield similar results!

Thank you for this but I was mainly just trying to figure out a way to get the 2 softwares to look the most similar so I don't have to edit it nearly as much to get the same result. It can be very confusing having an image look perfectly balanced in the camera only to see it 4 stops underexposed in processing.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was a bug with the histogram???

If I open a raw file (I shoot DNGs) with any other app and compare the histogram with the Affinity one, Affinity is squeezed toward the shadows and or highlights.  If I then make an adjustment and develop then re-enter the raw persona the histogram looks as I would expect.