You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi roh821z,
Have you double-clicked the embedded document layer's thumbnail (NOT the perspective filter thumbnail)? It should open the embedded document as well. Same if you double-click it on canvas. Without seeing the file i can't say why it's not working for you. Do you mind uploading it for us to check out? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private.

Hello to the Forum and MEB, 

Thanks for the update. A long time user of Designer and I've just bought Photo on the news that Smart Objects could be supported (couldn't trial it due to doing this previously). Slightly disappointed as my tests so far with mockup templates have all failed to fully work.

Photo does indeed now import the file and it does work to an extent but falls short of the desired affect. If I could point your attention to this freely available example:

https://graphicburger.com/plastic-pouch-packaging-mockup/

Am I missing something -  is there an additional step I can take to get this working?

Is there functionality to tinker with the smart object settings within Photo to reach the desired output?

Look forward to your feedback with the above example in mind. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, kirti.k.purohit@gmail.com said:

Hello to the Forum and MEB, 

Thanks for the update. A long time user of Designer and I've just bought Photo on the news that Smart Objects could be supported (couldn't trial it due to doing this previously). Slightly disappointed as my tests so far with mockup templates have all failed to fully work.

Photo does indeed now import the file and it does work to an extent but falls short of the desired affect. If I could point your attention to this freely available example:

https://graphicburger.com/plastic-pouch-packaging-mockup/

Am I missing something -  is there an additional step I can take to get this working?

Is there functionality to tinker with the smart object settings within Photo to reach the desired output?

Look forward to your feedback with the above example in mind. 

Cheers

Because Affinity doesn't have an equivalent feature to "Puppet warp" which is nondestructive effect yet.
Mesh Warp is close one but it's destructive effect.

4 hours ago, ashf said:

Because Affinity doesn't have an equivalent feature to "Puppet warp" which is nondestructive effect yet.
Mesh Warp is close one but it's destructive effect.

Thanks Ashf - quite useful to know. I've found a bit of a workaround so no real issues. Overall really pleased about Affinity Photo and this update. I'm going to stick with it and play to its merits.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:27 PM, MEB said:

Hi roh821z,
Have you double-clicked the embedded document layer's thumbnail (NOT the perspective filter thumbnail)? It should open the embedded document as well. Same if you double-click it on canvas. Without seeing the file i can't say why it's not working for you. Do you mind uploading it for us to check out? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private.

@MEB

What shall I do when AFP "mishandles" a PSD with smart objects? Notify you?

Cheers,
Helmar

Goddamit!

It looks like it works but it doesn't.

The replaced area (in my case a label on a bottle) doesn't respect the bend of the bottle when examined closely - it's just placed as a rectangular area and doesn't 'bend' like a real label would in 3D. Please fix this. Have to go back to the dark side for this now... 😟

3 minutes ago, homeyJay said:

Goddamit!

It looks like it works but it doesn't.

The replaced area (in my case a label on a bottle) doesn't respect the bend of the bottle when examined closely - it's just placed as a rectangular area and doesn't 'bend' like a real label would in 3D. Please fix this. Have to go back to the dark side for this now... 😟

That's correct. AFP can't - as far as I could see thus far - handle bent geometry. Flat is fine; bent is not. Looking forward to one of the next releases. Until then you and everybody else may want to try Photopea.com.

Cheers,

Helmar

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
4 hours ago, playwell said:

"Unfortunately, Affinity Designer may not fully support editing Photoshop Smart Objects, including text adjustments. Consider recreating or converting the Smart Objects to editable layers within Affinity Designer for better compatibility."

Since the Adobe file formats are not sufficiently documented, especially the proprietary data area, third-party providers can only offer limited compatibility.

Adobe will continue to exploit this supremacy to maintain its monopoly position.

For Adopay, you self-employed people and small businesses are just by-catch, like deep-sea fishing.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!