You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick inquiry, how do you paint a layer mask?

FOUND THE SOLUTION

I'm running into this very problem on v1.8.3 right this moment.  I opened a JPG, then dragged another on top of it, and Option-clicked the mask Layer Button, and expanded the layer to select just the mask.

Using the D (default colors), X to exchange and put white on top, I'm now trying to paint on my black mask.

It's possible to make this stand out as obviously broken.  Clicking the mask icon itself, right click and select Edit Mask.  At this point, the canvas goes black (as it should), waiting for white paint.

• Paint Brush Tool (Width 200px, opacity 100%, Flow 100%, Hardness 0%) -- painting with white didn't work.
  • Color Replacement Brush Tool (Width 200px, opacity 100%, Flow 100%, Hardness 0%) -- works
  • Pixel Tool -- works

Closer inspection if the tool bar reveals that Protect Alpha is on!  It was not on for Pixel Tool, and when turned on there, same problem.  Color Replacement doesn't have that option. Mystery solved.

Affinity Photo is working as designed, but the "bug" is that when editing a mask, when Protect Alpha is on, you simply can't edit the maskTurn Protect Alpha Off when Editing a MaskThis will not be obvious to new users (or some old ones) and is great source of frustration.  It'd be nice if either that option isn't present when editing a mask, is ignored when editing a mask, or an assistant lets you know what's going on.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just to reboot this thread by saying that I have similar issues and it's driving me nuts.
Today, I couldn't paint the mask in white, I could mask out by painting black, but not white. I set all brush colors to white (FG and BG), no selection, not preserve alpha, brush at 100%.

3 minutes ago, ilm1429 said:

Today, I couldn't paint the mask in white, I could mask out by painting black, but not white.

White reveals; black conceals. So if you are painting on a mask with a white brush, it won't affect anything that isn't already at least partially masked out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Is "Protect Alpha" checked on the Context Toolbar? Also, on the Context Toolbar what is the Blend Mode set to? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ok, so I wanted to follow on with a related point, which is that, sometimes, or many times, the mask won't be 100% opaque/transparent.
The brush settings opacity, flow, hardness are all 100%, no wet edges, layer and brush modes set to normal, still we can see a little of the masked area (maybe 10%)

It happens a lot, I'm just fighting with it right now. There is absolutely no explanation I can give.

Do you have an idea?

Thank you.

Check the colour panel when it happens again, there is a colour opacity slider there that may not be at 100%

Also, check you are using one of the "Basic" brushes

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Can you give us a full-screen screenshot where we can see:

• the Paint Brush Tool is selected;
  • the Context Toolbar settings;
  • the brush you have selected is one from the Basic category;
  • the Colour Panel with the Opacity settings visible;
  • the Layers Panel with your Mask layer selected.

...and please upload the document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Explained here...

• 1 month later...

Hello
can you please show in a screen grab where the mentioned buttons are?

"

Check the Protect Alpha button in the context toolbar on bottom. Is it enabled (does it have a thin outline around the circle)? If so tap it to disable this.

Also make sure you don't have the Opacity or the Flow of the brush set to 0% in the context toolbar on bottom."

Thank you

Found the button and once I de selected the Protect alpha button;

The button is the last item on the right so you have to click on the arrows to reveal it.
my problem is solved.....
No I can use the brush tool on a mask with white or black color.....

This forum is amazing !

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 7.53.32 PM.png

My Mac book pro has the dynamic tool bar that is sensitive to touch and syncs with affinity so that when I choose my tool; the context tool bar shows up, very close to my fingers.

The problem is that I have been touching the alpha button by mistake because I had not acknowledged it was there.....

Just a heads up....