You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Sometimes I'm assembling components on a page, but I'm working on a canvas that is sized towards the end result.  Is there a way to keep objects dragged off-canvas visible or do I have to switch to a "canvas + artboard" model to keep track of those objects?

If, for instance, I create an A4 landscape canvas and drag an object outside the canvas area it basically becomes invisible and can only retrieved by either block selecting the whole area and dragging it on the canvas again or highlighting the relevant layer and dragging it back onto the canvas.

Is there a setting for the off-canvas border to remain behind objects dragged off-canvas?

Attached: example circle partly vanishing when being off-canvas

Cheers!

post-27302-0-22976800-1480001326_thumb.jpg

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 3 years later...
  • Staff

Hi Athrul
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is already implemented for quite some time (unless i'm misunderstanding your question/issue) [EDIT] For Designer and Publisher only. I don't know if this is planned for Affinity Photo at the moment.[/EDIT].

For non-artboard based documents, go to menu View ▸ View Mode and uncheck Clip to Canvas to be able to see objects placed in the pasteboard area.

For artboard based documents this is enabled by default - meaning if you drag an object to the pasteboard area it should be visible (unless its crossing the artboard/pasteboard boundary - in that case the portion inside the artboard is visible, while the rest laying outside the artboard area is invisible - this is by design.

• 1 month later...

@MEB I do not see any such option as View>View Mode in Affinity Photo, which is what @Athrul is asking so far as I can understand. 

I have the same need, to assemble many photos into a collage, leaving parts or even whole images off the campus as I play with the arrangement. From what I'm seeing in other threads, this functionality is NOT available in Affinity Photo, but it is available in either Designer or Publisher or both.

The only option I see in Affinity Photo is Document>Unclip Canvas and that enlarges the canvas to include whatever is positioned partially or wholly off the canvas.

So I repeat @Athrul's question: Is it ever going to be possible to view images or parts of images located off the canvas in Affnity Photo. It seems like an obvious feature that should be added. Why does this function not exist in Affinity Photo?

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Granddaddy,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Sorry the delay getting back to you. I haven't been working during the last weeks and i'm still catching up.
This option (View ▸ View Mode ▸ Clip to Canvas) is only available in Designer and Publisher as you noticed. I missed the Affinity Photo reference in @Athrul'spost. My apologies (post fixed to avoid more confusion).Thanks for pointing it out.

• 9 months later...

It is weird that objects can be placed outside the canvas but that this "feature" is not included in Photo. But in Publisher and Designer.

Software architecture vs usability?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 8 months later...
On 11/25/2016 at 3:04 AM, MEB said:

Hi BatteriesInc,

Go to menu View ▸ View Mode and uncheck Clip to Canvas.

Thank you thank you thank you. That was driving me nuts. So glad that it was an easy fix.

• 2 years later...