You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Explorer Thumbnails

When using Windows Explorer in thumbnail view to view a folder of DrawPlus *.dpp files you are presented with a thumbnail of the actual drawing.

With Affinity Designer (v1.5 Retail) *.afdesign files you are presented with identical application icons even if "save thumbnails with documents" is enabled in settings.

Is it possible to view thumbnails of the documents and,if not, will this be introduced in a future update?

• Staff

Hi dpoulton,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer files are also displayed as thumbnails in Windows Explorer (see screenshot below).

post-59-0-02624500-1479475382_thumb.png

Do you have that folder set to Always show icons, never thumbnails in the Folder Options dialog? Uncheck it if that's the case. You can access the Folder Options dialog clicking on the Option button on the right (in the screenshot above) then changing to the View tab in the Folder Options dialog.

post-59-0-27234900-1479475366_thumb.png

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

My system is Win10 Pro x64 Anniversary. My *.dpp files are stored in a "drawings" folder under the Windows "Pictures" folder (once upon a time this was "My Pictures"). My *.afdesign files are stored in a "designs" folder, also under the Windows "Pictures" folder. All these folders  are set to display thumbnails, where available,  rather than icons.

When browsing the "drawings" folder I see...

post-42265-0-40815500-1479492066_thumb.jpg

When browsing the "designs" folder I see...

post-42265-0-24031400-1479492066_thumb.jpg

As can be seen from the "palettes" subfolder, thumbnails are switched on.

I have tried rebooting as well as clearing out the thumbnail cache using CCleaner.

Apart from re-installing, any other suggestions?

Also, how do I get "undo" and "save" onto the toolbar?????

post-42265-0-24031400-1479492066_thumb.jpg

post-42265-0-40815500-1479492066_thumb.jpg

Uninstalled and reinstalled. No thumbnails.

Tried everything on this previous thread including downloading a utility to clear the icon and thumbnail caches and still no luck.

In the previous thread Mark Ingram stated that there is a CLI command to register the thumbnail provider and that he will hunt it down and post it, but I cannot find that post.

I have discovered several other annoyances and it seems that I should have spent time with the beta rather than waiting for the finished release.

It's a pity that DrawPlus is now "legacy" as it is still seems to be the better product (especially as it has the AutoTrace feature).

I have read posts where it is pointed out that AD is not an exact replacement for DP and that it is not advertised as better than DP. Fair enough. There are also comments that those who need DrawPlus' features should continue to use it. That however raises the question as to why DrawPlus is being "shelved"....

My fault, I got tempted by the low intro price when I should have waited for v2 or v3.