You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG (1.5.0.26 RC) Symbols in Symbols

Hello everybody,

I would like to submit a bug that is related to Symbols feature.

I use Symbols a lot in my project and sometimes I have symbol in symbol in symbol :) 

The problem is that the symbol are disappearing from instances.

Steps to Reproduce.

0. Start AD create new document

1. Create rectangle make it a symbol (Create button)

2. Create circle make it another symbol (Create button)

3. Now in the layer panels put one circle symbol inside rectangle symbol (Sync enabled).

4. Notice Symbols window doesn't update symbol view.

5. Create new rectangle symbol instance to see there is no circle in it

6. Now click at the circle symbol instance (which is inside the rectangle symbol instance) and right-click -> duplicate

7. Notice circle appear in the both rectangle symbol instances and also in the Symbol window

Variation 1:

8. Now delete one of the instances circle symbol instances (there are two) in the rectangle instance

9. Notice both circle instances will disappear also from all rectangle symbol instances. 

Variation 2:

8. Click on the one of the circle symbol instances which are in the rectangle symbol instance and hit "Detach" 

9. Delete this new object which is not a symbol anymore

10. Notice remaining circle symbol instance stays intact.

If you would like to make me a video let me know.

There are also some other situations when the symbol in symbols disappears but I am not yet sure when it happens, but I guess it is the same problem.

Good luck :)

I use Symbols a lot .. I'll give you some examples ..

I have a logo 

I have a logo with text (company name)

I have a logo with shadow

I have a logo as an icon (with some filtering)

and each of these variations are used across webdesign artboard, app GUI artboard, brand artboard, logo evolution artboard .. many many times with different sizes.

When I decide I want to tweak the logo I want it to update in each instance and each symbol.

When I decide I want to change the shadow .. I want it to update on all symbols that use that symbol too.

When I decide to put some fancy effect over logo I want it to update in all instances all symbols that use this symbol and all those instances.

So Symbols for me have a huge production value and saves time tremendously. So hope you guys will get it together and maybe extend this feature more to have even more control and insight into symbols where they are and able to manipulate/select them at once.

Also it would be great I you could also change or somehow update unlinked attributes of the symbols like transformation size so I will don't have to resize each instance just because I created symbol with a bad size.

I cannot wait until you get this windows version done so I can purchase it. 

Amazing work guys !

Also it would be great I you could also change or somehow update unlinked attributes of the symbols like transformation size so I will don't have to resize each instance just because I created symbol with a bad size.

You can resize a symbol now, you just have to click and edit INSIDE the symbol group, otherwise you just transform the container.

So double click to get inside, and then transform, or use the layers panel.

BUT there is a LOT of bugs with symbols updating and sometimes parts get desynced after a load, and i never pressed the sync button.... and the list goes on.

the best solution would be to have a dedicated button on each layer, or at the context toolbar, where you can individually turn ON and OFF if the current element is synced or not.

That way you could even turn Sync back on individual elements if you previously made a mistake.

• Staff

Hi andrej7,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You may want for example change the fill colour (or any other attribute) of one (of the objects) of the symbols but keep all the other attributes still linked/synchronised. To achieve this, select the specific instance you want to change, turn sync off, change the fill colour of the object you want inside the symbol layer of that instance, then turn sync on again. You can then continue updating all the remaining instances of that symbol on the document as usual and all attributes of the object you changed will be synchronised except the fill colour which is not syncronized anymore.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.