You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI

Wondering if there is a way to know what exactly the layer means? For example have a look at the attached screenshot, how do I know what curve is ? Is it an adjustment, layer effect or something else? Also is there a list of all the layer terms (curve, group etc ..)

post-29419-0-09863100-1477083964_thumb.png

Thanks!

Vishal

It looks like that curve inside the other curve is just a mask. Basically you can drag any vector object on another object and it will become a mask for that object then. A layer is a different thing in that it has no dimensions and is just a container for organizing your objects.

Start reading the help files. View the in-house tutes. AD terms have specific meanings within the app.  As @VIPStephan says, a layer is an organizational term. The layers have precedence  depending on how they arranged in a stack. It may contain various objects. Some shapes may have specific names, such as "rectangle." Others will be more generic, just "curve," unless you give it a specific name. There will also be adjustment layers, masks, sub-groups. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

A curve is single path or shape. Anytime you draw a single line from the start, you create a curve.

A layer is what you can organize curves into. By default, only curves are shown. If you add a new layer, you can click and drag curves into them to keep them organized. The layer can then be collapsed and expanded. (You can also add layers inside layers.)

A clip is when curves are organized inside another curve (not a layer). This creates the ability to put objects inside another creating a window-like structure. Moving the window will move the objects along with it.

A mask is the done when cropping an object (as shown in your attachment with double thumbnails). It works similar to clipped objects because it also creates a window structure, but the window is what is movable. Anything inside does not leave position.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

As gdenby suggested, you should start by reading the help files. There is an entire section devoted to layers. So for example, the U.S. English "About Layers" overview topic includes this brief list of the layers types & their purpose:

Types of layer

There are several types of layers that can be created:

• Pixel layer—used for pixel based editing and tools.
• Mask layer—special layer that allows you to define what content is hidden to reveal layers beneath.
• Adjustment layers—special layers that can be used to correct or enhance the layers beneath.
• Object (curve, shape, text, image) layer—each vector or text object is created on its own layer.

The other topics in the layers section discuss the creation & use of the various layer types. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

A clip is when curves are organized inside another curve (not a layer). This creates the ability to put objects inside another creating a window-like structure. Moving the window will move the objects along with it.

Moving, rotating or resizing a clipping object will normally move, rotate or resize the child (clipped) objects, but if you 'Lock Children' those child objects will remain unchanged when you transform the container.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Moving, rotating or resizing a clipping object will normally move, rotate or resize the child (clipped) objects, but if you 'Lock Children' those child objects will remain unchanged when you transform the container.

True. I didn't think to mention that.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!