You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity - A New Range of Products for Macintosh?

Am I correct in thinking that Affinity represents an entire line of products for the Macintosh? Not to promote your competition, but only as an example, is Affinity to Designer as Adobe is to Illustrator? Taking this further, will we see another product such as Affinity "Page" (as Adobe is to InDesign) or Affinity "Photo" (as Adobe is to Photoshop)? if so, I will soon be a very happy Macintosh user! Your PagePlus application is extraordinarily useful to me but, alas, it runs only in Windows (not at all a favorite OS) so a product line such as this, built solely for the Mac, will be greeted with open arms!

• 3 weeks later...

As well as sharing a liking for speed, accuracy, and pro colour, Affinity titles will also share a common file format. You'll be able to work in a seamless mixed discipline workflow, editing the same projects in Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, and Affinity Publisher.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Now this sounds promising!

You mean I can draw an illustration in Designer and then open the very document in Publisher where I build an ad or a brochure around it and eventually go back to Designer to add another vector element?

Does this imply that all three applications will understand multipage documents – even Photo, (though I don’t see the advantage here)?

• Staff

All our apps use exactly the same base file format.

Not only that, we have a quick one-button (or menu item) method to pass open documents between our apps.  Your system will know which Affinity apps you have installed, and offer you the option of editing an open document in one of your other installed Affinity apps.

So, you could have a document open in Designer then pass it over to Photo to make some raster changes and back again to Designer to do some more vector work.

Best of all, when doing this it will preserve your command history, remembering where you were in the history, and include any autosave state, so you can even undo or redo a change while working in Designer that you made while working in Photo.

It's all about workflow!

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Abe I believe the intent for launch is to support accurate import and export of PDF, AI, PSD, EPS, and SVG files, plus import of FH files.

One of the Devs may want to correct me if I've sold Designer short there.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

There are dozens upon dozens of photo editors available as alternatives to Photoshop. If you really want to make a splash, an InDesign replacement is your best bet.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Thanks TonyB, thought as much as I couldn't find anything on it. Count me in when you do. I am hoping there will be some digital art aspect to it along with the photo side of things. Cheers.

As much as I appreciate vector graphics (I do, I do!!! I even coded my own vector engines, vectorial fonts, auto-tracing programs, etc, back in the old ZX Spectrum days, all in assembler), I will be a bigger tester for Affinity Photo.

Photoshop is one of me tools of trade, ever since version 1.0

And, if you guys decided to create a 3D application, I would be the biggest tester and contributer of sugestions for it.

My main work is 3D and I even code my own plugins (python and C++) :-)

Nope. I'm a Cinema 4D user.

I tried Blender several times. It hás amazing tools and it is free (and you can't beat free!! ;-) )

But is looks like it was made by engineers, to be used by engineers ;-)

It is not easy to use and is overly too complex. Well, at least when compared with the ease of use of Cinema 4D.

But it is an amazing tool. And... did I mentioned it is free? ;-)