You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just to put this in context, I'm a DrawPlus user trying out AD, so some of my focus is on what I can still do or cannot do.  I typically use DrawPlus for creating graphics for web sites.

Using DrawPlus, I am able to use the Bevel / Emboss effect on a circular shape, to achieve a pretty good representation of a dome (birds-eye view).  This is with either the Emboss or Inner Bevel style, and varying the Blur and Depth settings.

I cannot see how to get this same domed effect on a circle in AD.  At best, the effects lift the very edge of the shape, but it seems impossible to have the effect spread across the whole shape as I can in DrawPlus.

Am I doomed to fail in this, and expecting too much of AD?  Or (fingers crossed) have i missed something?

The first circle I tried to dome created a perfect shape.

Ever since I've been unable to do more than lift the edges (like you).

So I think we're both missing something, but I don't know what! I feel sure it has something to do with the sequence in which we have tried to change the properties of Fill or Stroke and maybe which of the options is being used (Menu or Sidebar etc) to make the change.

That probably doesn't help a lot, but at least you know you are not alone :)

I've had better luck with the '3D' effect than with 'Bevel/Emboss', but so far I haven't played with it much.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Martin - see MikeW's post here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21612-first-impressions-from-a-long-time-user-of-serif-software/?p=101137

Try using the Effects tab rather than the Layer Effects first then click on the settings (cog) icon to open the Layer Effects dialogue to change the type of emboss if required. The Layer Effects dialogue does need fixing.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

Hi there... I notice when playing with bevel/emboss, the max radius and depth is 100 pixels, and soften's max is 20 pixels. Is this the max in the beta only, or is it what is currently available in the Mac version also? Or can I change this to percent and do more? I personally would like to see the ability to make a larger bevel.

Also, I seem to have only one gloss contour. Do I have the ability to edit this and/or create and add more gloss contours?

So far, am loving this program :)

Hi there... I notice when playing with bevel/emboss, the max radius and depth is 100 pixels, and soften's max is 20 pixels. Is this the max in the beta only, or is it what is currently available in the Mac version also? Or can I change this to percent and do more? I personally would like to see the ability to make a larger bevel.

Also, I seem to have only one gloss contour. Do I have the ability to edit this and/or create and add more gloss contours?

So far, am loving this program :)

Hi, try using the bevel and emboss or 3D in the Effects tab, that will take a larger value when a figure is typed into the value box.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

• Staff

Hi,

Many of the controls in Affinity have a slider with a small and "reasonable" range - but the accompanying text box will accept much larger values..

We can increase the slider ranges if people think it makes sense - but it should be noted that, in general, using filter effects to achieve spheres / domes (a common example) is usually the wrong workflow - Affinity Designer is a *vector* app - so one of the many *vector* solutions would produce better results!

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Hi, try using the bevel and emboss or 3D in the Effects tab, that will take a larger value when a figure is typed into the value box.

Hi Ken - thanks for your reply.

I am using the effects tab and when I type in a different value, it reverts back to 100 px. *wry grin* what am I doing wrong?

Hi Ken - thanks for your reply.

I am using the effects tab and when I type in a different value, it reverts back to 100 px. *wry grin* what am I doing wrong?

See this screenshot:

post-28493-0-01390400-1467487866_thumb.png

Thanks... I was in the actual layers panel. 

So... what I have discovered is that you probably should go into the layers panel first to set your preferred bevel style, direction, etc ----- and then if you want, you can use the layers tab to change the amount of the radius.

Something I discovered is that when you then go back into the layer effect panel for bevel/emboss after you adjust the radius in the tab, if you try to adjust the radius here, it will revert to the 100 px.

Lol... this is fun figuring this all out!

it should be noted that, in general, using filter effects to achieve spheres / domes (a common example) is usually the wrong workflow - Affinity Designer is a *vector* app - so one of the many *vector* solutions would produce better results!

Hope this helps,

Andy.

(e.g. conical / radial fill)

That makes sense.  I guess I've been spoon-fed by DP for a long time and need to get to grips with the "proper" way to do these things.

in general, using filter effects to achieve spheres / domes (a common example) is usually the wrong workflow - Affinity Designer is a *vector* app - so one of the many *vector* solutions would produce better results!

What would be your preferred solution, Andy? One simple way of drawing a sphere is to draw a large coloured circle with a small white circle inside it (representing the point where light strikes the sphere) and then creating a blend between the two objects, but Affinity Designer doesn't have a Blend Tool yet.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi all, :) I am also a long term user of Serif Draw Plus (as recent as version X8) I'm not impressed with the loss of so much of the Draw Pus userfriendly featrures. Only had Affinity a few days but its too much like Adobe Illustrator which I have used for while but HATE. A programme can be full featured and professional without being user unfrinedly.Professional output needs to be efficient and the more a designer had to "stuff around" to get a good result the longer and less efficient there work flow is. The lack of ability to properly 3D dome a circle or other object from the effects panel is undesirable. Affinity developers please take note! Marj

What would be your preferred solution, Andy? One simple way of drawing a sphere is to draw a large coloured circle with a small white circle inside it (representing the point where light strikes the sphere) and then creating a blend between the two objects, but Affinity Designer doesn't have a Blend Tool yet.

The easy way is to create a single sphere and using the gradient tool to make the fill - see screenshot

post-28493-0-42105300-1467556640_thumb.png

The easy way is to create a single sphere and using the gradient tool to make the fill - see screenshot

Thanks, Ken. Too easy! Come to think of it, I must have used that method when I did it in CraftArtist recently, since CA2 also doesn't have a Blend Tool. :o

Alfred spacer.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.