You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

selection tool will not cut and copy

I am trying to use the rectangular selection tool to copy and paste a portion of a graphic image, but when I select cut or copy, it copies the ENTIRE image, not the selection !!!!   PAIN IN THE #O*#&    

Sounds like you're trying to copy & paste an image layer.

Try rasterising it first.

Then it should work fine.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

See for example https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/Layers/layerImage.html for more about this special layer type.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

I created an account to chime in on how jaw-droppingly unintuitive this behavior is.  Virtually every editing software out there (raster, vector, text, video) has one expected behavior:  if you see a selection on screen and use any of the standard cut/copy/paste commands, it will operate on the selection.

Affinity has decided that an an unmarked selection (the layer object with no visible blue bounding box) overrides a visible selection (the marquee's "crawling ants").  I don't care what the layer type is, this is raster editing software.

Please make the "copy" command always operate on the visible selection, no matter what it is.  If necessary, add a separate, explicit "Copy layer" command.

2 hours ago, emiliog said:

Affinity has decided that an an unmarked selection (the layer object with no visible blue bounding box) overrides a visible selection (the marquee's "crawling ants").  I don't care what the layer type is, this is raster editing software.

That is not quite right. It is just that Affinity supports the Image layer type of container object that, to quote the help topic, retains the placed image's original color space, resolution and physical dimensions (when placed at native resolution). Because it is not a Pixel layer, you cannot select its pixels to copy them, but you can easily change it into a Pixel layer if you need to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

but you can easily change it into a Pixel layer if you need to do that.

Or you can use Edit > Copy Merged (or Flattened, depending on OS).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That is not quite right. It is just that Affinity supports the Image layer type of container object that, to quote the help topic, retains the placed image's original color space, resolution and physical dimensions (when placed at native resolution). Because it is not a Pixel layer, you cannot select its pixels to copy them, but you can easily change it into a Pixel layer if you need to do that.

I can't select the pixels to copy them, but I can select the pixels.  That's the UX incongruence here:
image.png.751e8321b9ca37ab69049e30870754ef.png

If these aren't actually "pixels" (uh, OK), then when I attempt to select them I should be notified that they are not things I can select.

Or, this raster editing software can actually favor editing images - rather than vaguely-defined object interactions - and just copy pixels when I make a pixel selection.

30 minutes ago, emiliog said:

I can't select the pixels to copy them, but I can select the pixels.

No. You can draw a pixel selection marquee on the screen, but it is not associated with any specific layer and is not the pixels themselves. It's just an area of the screen, which can contain pixels if a pixel layer is currently active. But if a vector layer is active, for example, then it's just a marquee that doesn't contain anything.

And an Image layer is, in a way, a kind of vector layer.

When you don't have a pixel layer active, and you do Edit > Copy, you get a copy of the complete layer even if you have a pixel selection marquee active. There's no need to warn you, because Edit > Copy is simply context-sensitive, and functions depending on the context.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

37 minutes ago, emiliog said:

If these aren't actually "pixels" (uh, OK), then when I attempt to select them I should be notified that they are not things I can select.

Note that a pixel selection may be entirely independent from a certain layer type but may work rather similar to a colour picker tool. Below it is set to use "All layers" as source and thus it partially includes the vector rectangle layer in the resulting pixel selection. For this pixel selection the layer selection in the Layers panel does not matter, it selects the same green if another layer or if no layer is selected.

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-13um00_17_08.thumb.jpg.24dc94566574d153b78dbb4758e6c94b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1