You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How would I brighten just a portion of an image?

This is an "all roads lead to Rome" type of question in the sense that there are many ways to brighten up this picture.

This example I used a level adjustment then masked out the area so that the central figure is brighter.

1726px-Caravaggio_(Michelangelo_Merisi)_-_Ecce_Homo_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg.fc32fc64874103dd4c0242bae007562d.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

34 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

This is an "all roads lead to Rome" type of question in the sense that there are many ways to brighten up this picture.

This example I used a level adjustment then masked out the area so that the central figure is brighter.

Speaking of Rome, sort of <g>.  How did you do that?  It looks great!

I am studying up on masking right now. I remember Affinity Revolution had a couple good videos on this.

Sorry - I don't get to do this stuff very often <s>

34 minutes ago, filoplume said:

Where I don't want it, not just brighten the area I want brightened.

Both, really. A mask defines where you want the effect and where you don’t want it, all at the same time. If the mask includes shades of grey as well as black and white, the effect will be partially applied to the regions in the image corresponding to the grey regions in the mask.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

24 minutes ago, filoplume said:

Speaking of Rome, sort of <g>.  How did you do that?  It looks great!

I am studying up on masking right now. I remember Affinity Revolution had a couple good videos on this.

Sorry - I don't get to do this stuff very often <s>

See picture below.

You can also use a brightness and contrast adjustment, or a curves adjustment to brighten up the picture, then as with the levels adjustment use a soft black brush to paint out the areas you don't want brightened.

Note: all adjustment layers come with their own mask - this makes it quick and simple to use a black brush without faffing about making new masks.

Screenshot v3.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

1 hour ago, AffinityJules said:

You can also use a brightness and contrast adjustment, or a curves adjustment to brighten up the picture, then as with the levels adjustment use a soft black brush to paint out the areas you don't want brightened.

I do this before I start a mask?

Oh - I followed the Affinity Revolution mask tutorial on youtube and she used a curves adjustment to adjust the brightness so I guess same thing as levels adjustment with white balance.

How would I do the other thing you said about a black brush to paint out the areas that I do not want touched?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, filoplume said:

All of the Adjustment layers have an integrated (built-in) mask. Just select the Adjustment layer and start painting.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

57 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

All of the Adjustment layers have an integrated (built-in) mask. Just select the Adjustment layer and start painting.

Okay Bruce!  Thanks!

Is it possible to work on the same image in a different tab in Photo?  There is no "open as",...

4 minutes ago, filoplume said:

Is it possible to work on the same image in a different tab in Photo?  There is no "open as",...

Really should be asking in a new post. But yes, sort of. If I in fact do understand your question. Go to the View menu and see New View and Views. You can see I have a choice of two views of the one image I currently have open.

ScreenShot2024-03-20at1_34_59PM.png.e505c7d681a9d0fc9735c5ebda314284.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, filoplume said:

Oh - I followed the Affinity Revolution mask tutorial on youtube and she used a curves adjustment to adjust the brightness so I guess same thing as levels adjustment with white balance.

How would I do the other thing you said about a black brush to paint out the areas that I do not want touched?

Thanks

As I have already mentioned above, all adjustment layers come with their own built in masks so, once you have made an appropriate adjustment you need only paint out the undesired brightness on the rest of the picture. You need to make an adjustment first before you can mask parts out, otherwise there would be nothing to mask out!

1. Select adjustment layer from the layers tab.

2. Make adjustment.

3. With the adjustment layer selected in the layers panel - chooses a soft brush from the brush menu. Set the colour to black, then paint over the picture to hide the parts you don't want lit.

eezy-pezee.

3 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

3. With the adjustment layer selected in the layers panel - chooses a soft brush from the brush menu. Set the colour to black, then paint over the picture to hide the parts you don't want lit.

Okay 🙂  So, how can I tell if I missed a spot?  The face is a really small part of the painting. I did change the brush sizes when blacking out the rest of the image, and didn't make the rest of it too dark or was I not actually changing how the image looked initially?

I turned off the levels adjustment layer (used white balance) and can see a difference in the face, but missed a spot.

The gal's video said to hold down alt while clicking on the adjustment layer but I don't see how to undo what I did with changing the brush color to white.

Sure makes more sense to me to just whiten out the face but I think she left a step out and didn't work for me (the first third of the affinity revolution youtube video but I don't know how to paste a link without the video appearing here.

She also said set the hardness of the brush to 0.

Do you want me to post my attempt? It's pretty good! 🙂

More fun than AI!

Thanks!

7 hours ago, filoplume said:

The face is a really small part of the painting.

Zoom in?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, filoplume said:

So, how can I tell if I missed a spot?  The face is a really small part of the painting.

As Walt has hinted, zooming in will help you see the fine detail. To view the mask on its own, Option/Alt-click on the mask thumbnail in the Layers panel; click on the image layer to make the adjusted image visible again.

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Option/Alt-click on the mask thumbnail in the Layers panel; click on the image layer to make the adjusted image visible again.

When I did that, it just brings a big square of white or black.  I forget.  Not at all like in the ladies video where only the part of what she colored in (the eyes) showed.

14 minutes ago, filoplume said:

When I did that, it just brings a big square of white or black.

It sounds as though you may have been zoomed in too far.

Alfred spacer.png