You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest picture quiz

pioneer

My latest picture quiz round.

Tv set created in designer. 

20 placeholders inside the TV image for the images. 

All images  converted to B&W and a levels adjustment on the majority of images.

I created masks to obliterate the backgrounds in the images to take away the fussy details. in APhoto.

designed on an A4 will be enlarged to A3 one per team on the night.

Comments on the creation and final (almost) presentation as always are welcome.

have fun with identifying the faces.

As always I look forward to @William Overington blistering observations which are 2nd to none

Picture quiz B&W.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

Ah....another connecting theme.

Got it.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

With the original Picture quiz, even when I had seen the answers I realized that I did not know who are a lot of them.

Looking through these sixteen pictures, however, I recognize two of them, number 11 and number 16, and I think that that may well have given me the theme.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

6 hours ago, pioneer said:

designed on an A4 will be enlarged to A3 one per team on the night.

Just wondering, is there any particular reason that you did not design it as an A3 please?

Enlarging from A4 to A3 will mean a ratio of around 1.414 in each of width and height.

I wonder if that might cause problems with enlarging the pictures. I don't know whether it will or not, I am just wondering.

By the way, number 11 is on YouTube.

William 

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 hour ago, Return said:

I think 11 should be 16.

Indeed.

Took me ages to finally put a name to him.

I knew I knew him, and I knew I knew it.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

10 hours ago, Return said:

I think 11 should be 16.

Now why did I not think of that.  Great position on the grid for him

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home

11 hours ago, William Overington said:

Just wondering, is there any particular reason that you did not design it as an A3 please?

Enlarging from A4 to A3 will mean a ratio of around 1.414 in each of width and height.

I wonder if that might cause problems with enlarging the pictures. I don't know whether it will or not, I am just wondering.

Though I suppose that a lot depends upon what facilities @pioneer has at home, at the club, elsewhere, or online, such as whether getting an A3 print can be done from a PDF document or is done by putting an A4 paper document into a photocopier and an A3 size print being output (do some photocopiers do that?).

William

5 hours ago, pioneer said:

Now why did I not think of that.  Great position on the grid for him

Number 9’s position on the grid isn’t great!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Ok Picture Quiz went live last night, 7 teams of 4/6 all thought the quiz presentation was different and pleasing on the eye.  Winning team scored 15. all other teams scored 9 or above, It was handed out at the start of the evening, handed in at end of the evening.  Only 4 teams got number 4.

20 hours ago, Alfred said:

Number 9’s position on the grid isn’t great!

Not sure how many pole positions he had in his career.

21 minutes ago, pioneer said:

Only 4 teams got number 4.

I’m afraid I had to resort to a reverse image search for that one (James Coburn in Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, for those wondering). A similar search for number 13 didn’t work until I tweaked the brightness and contrast to reveal James Blunt.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, pioneer said:

Winning team scored 15 ...  Only 4 teams got number 4.

Did the winning team get number 4, or was that the one they missed?

Alfred spacer.png

Number 4's name escaped me at first! Then I thought of Lee Marvin ('no idea why I always get them mixed up!) but realised that the first name was wrong! then I got it! 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I thought of Lee Marvin ('no idea why I always get them mixed up!)

I don’t think James Coburn was known for claiming to have been born under a wand’ring star. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Did the winning team get number 4, or was that the one they missed?

Yes.  The majority of people even though they knew it was wrong thought it was Lee Marvin.

41 minutes ago, pioneer said:

Yes.  The majority of people even though they knew it was wrong thought it was Lee Marvin.

But why did they purportedly know it was wrong?

Just because all of the answers that they have found thus far have the first name James is no basis to assume that every answer will have the first name James, unless thay have been told that every answer has the same first name.

Was there any reason to know that the quiz was not having fifteen answers with the first name of James and one answer that had another first name?

Sort of like those pullovers that have pictures of sheep on them.

William