You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting a Specific Resolution to a Certain Size

Hello,

I need to resize my images to 700 px x 420 px. I can do this, however, I need the images to also have a resolution of atleast 738 x 446. I am not able to figure out how to set it to atleast this resolution on the software. Please help me out as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Hi @Mehak and welcome to the forums.

In Affinity Photo you can do this via the menu Document > Resize Document...

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

4 hours ago, Mehak said:

I need to resize my images to 700 px x 420 px. I can do this, however, I need the images to also have a resolution of atleast 738 x 446.

How do you define resolution?
usually it is the DPI setting, meaning how many px are used for one inch. Affinity can use only one fixed resolution number both in x and y direction. 
We need the physical unit for the given numbers 738, meaning cm, inch, etc. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 hours ago, Mehak said:

I need to resize my images to 700 px x 420 px. I can do this, however, I need the images to also have a resolution of atleast 738 x 446.

The picture resolution (i.e. the pixel dimensions of the image) must be either 700 x 420 or 738 x 446. You clearly cannot have both at the same time.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You'll need to use a physical distance, not a pixel distance, for the units of measurement for the "resized" export. If your document has 72 DPI/PPI and you are using Inches as your Units of Measurement. And your original is 738 pixels then the physical size is 738/72 = size in inches. If your original document has 300 DPI/PPI then the arithmetic is 738/300 = size in inches.

700/72 = 9.722222222 inches

700/300 = 2.33333333 inches

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

meaning how many px are used for one inch. Affinity can use only one fixed resolution number both in x and y direction. 

… for export (resulting in squared pixels). – For objects within an Affinity document, the effective resolution ("Placed DPI") can vary and does not have to be identical in the x and y directions.

Nevertheless, @Mehak, your two sets of dimensions don't have the same aspect ratio. Thus additionally to scaling the smaller size would require slightly stretching to achieve the larger size.

What export file type do you want to use? If you indeed want to create an image file with two different image sizes (on two separate Layer layers) you might choose TIF for instance with its Layer option ticked. To access the two layers separately you would need an according application (e.g. a web browser would not work and display the two layers flattened as just one, if ever).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

45 minutes ago, thomaso said:

For objects within an Affinity document, the effective resolution ("Placed DPI") can vary and does not have to be identical in the x and y directions.

I was referring to "document DPI", not layer DPI. The OP is most probaly  concerned about export size, so layer DPI is irrelevant here.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

7 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

I was referring to "document DPI", not layer DPI. The OP is most probaly  concerned about export size, so layer DPI is irrelevant here.

I know you know. – But the OP's info is rather vague so I mentioned that aspect 'just in case'.

From the pure description it even might mean to create an Affinity document with a "Specific Resolution" and two image layers, each scaled to one of the two wanted pixel dimensions as their "Certain Size".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1