You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font without type (bold, italic...)

I have an svg file which has a text (see screenshot). Wenn I open it, it says the font is "Open Sans", but there is no type (Regular, Bold, Italic) selected.

If I check all the types, none of it is matching the current text exactly. Also according to https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/open-sans none type looks like my text (the "g" is always different).

How to figure out which font is used here? Could I export the image and include the font somehow and then check which fonts are included?

Thank you!

image.thumb.png.59a7a7f18573dcc5cc3365635a9e5fcd.png

4 minutes ago, Chris13123 said:

If I check all the types, none of it is matching the current text exactly. Also according to https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/open-sans none type looks like my text (the "g" is always different).

As you say, that doesn’t look like Open Sans. The g should be double-storey, not single-storey with a tail, and the tail of the e doesn’t terminate correctly for Open Sans, either. I think your screenshot is showing Arial.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I think your screenshot is showing Arial.

Yes - maybe substitute font?
image.png.c1b391c4703cad632bb005e7646de352.png

This is Open Sans

image.png.e0ca487dc85d0afc6b28c045104ec91f.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

23 minutes ago, Chris13123 said:

How to figure out which font is used here? Could I export the image and include the font somehow and then check which fonts are included?

The "Font Manager" might tell the substitution font within Affinity. (It seems to require APub.)

If you export as PDF then its "properties" tell the used/embedded font. If your PDF viewer doesn't offer this option you could open the exported PDF in Affinity and check its font name.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

If you don't have Publisher
Highlight the text and export to svg using Selection Only
The svg will show this:
<text x="-4.904px" y="62.941px" style="font-family:'Bauhaus93', 'Bauhaus 93', fantasy;font-size:92.139px;">what font?</text>

WhatFont.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

7 hours ago, Chris13123 said:

How to figure out which font is used here?

SVG files are text file - open it and look.

It appears the font family is Open Sans, and it is probably the Regular (so select just that).
The original Open Sans Regular font only has "Open Sans" in the PostScript Name.
No Regular weight is listed.
So perhaps that is where it came from.
This happens quite a bit when Affinity opens other documents (no Font Style).
So just select the text and apply the Regular weight (Font Style).

Note the Regular weight in the original Open Sans does not match the Regular weight in the current Google Fonts version (they adjusted some of the weights when they made the variable font).
So your original document may not look the same with the newer fonts.
You may want to use the original fonts if you need to replicate something.