You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My affinity designer doesn't have all the tools despite being the latest version

Welcome to the forum @katthedev

Try Window > Studio > Reset Studio

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Ok, do you have the tools showing?
    • Yes: Go to View > Customise and see if you can add the shapebuilder icon to the tools
    • No: Go to View > Show tools

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, katthedev said:

Cannot find it, do you think that this may be a program bug?

You have Affinity Designer v1 open. There's no Shape Builder tool in v1.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

That doesn't look like Affinity Designer v2.4 Check the About menu option to see what version it shows.

Are you on mac or windows?

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

That doesn't look like Affinity Designer v2.4

Indeed, it can't be any AD 2 version because among other things in V2 the quick shape tools (like rectangle, ellipse, etc.) are all unfilled, while in V1 they are all filled with blue like in the screenshot.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 3/4/2024 at 12:14 PM, loukash said:

You have Affinity Designer v1 open. There's no Shape Builder tool in v1.

why are there 2 versions of affinity? no tutorial specify that they are using v2 I lost 5 hours trying to figure out why their program is more feature-rich than my counterpart.

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this @katthedev,

8 minutes ago, katthedev said:

no tutorial specify that they are using v2

Are you able to provide a link to the tutorial you're referring to?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

32 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Are you able to provide a link to the tutorial you're referring to?

The official tutorials should specify the version, but there may be many third-party tutorials that don’t.

Even Serif’s own material doesn’t always specify. For example, compare and contrast the headings on the ‘Features’ pages in the online Help for Affinity Photo 2 and Affinity Publisher 2.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Even Serif’s own material doesn’t always specify. For example, compare and contrast the headings on the ‘Features’ pages in the online Help for Affinity Photo 2 and Affinity Publisher 2.

Not sure what you mean there. Both start out saying the list is for 2.4.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

46 minutes ago, katthedev said:

why are there 2 versions of affinity?

There was version 1 (which you apparently have), and about 1.5 years ago it was replaced by version 2, which is a major upgrade of the application functionality and requires a new purchase.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not sure what you mean there. Both start out saying the list is for 2.4.

Sorry, I should have said ‘titles’ rather than ‘headings’. The page for Photo says ‘Features of Affinity Photo 2’ at the top, but the page for Publisher just says ‘Features of Affinity Publisher’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)