You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Quiz round

pioneer

This is a paper quiz round based on the Wheel of fortune a British television game show for the next quiz night at my local indoor bowls club. Everything done in Aphoto apart from the border around the letters and blanks.

wheel of fortune.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.5.3 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3958) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.5.3 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

Nicely done, John. :)

I’m curious to know why you used Photo rather than Designer for this, especially since the only photographic items are the borders around the letters.

By the way, the blanks for the two-letter word in the ‘Book’ one are misaligned, and the ‘Country’ one has an extra blank at the end of the first word.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.5.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred  Thanks for the feedback, now rectified, thanks for being the first proof reader.

In answer to your question "why Photo".  I've been using Serif products since the early 90's with PagePlus being my most used. With the introduction of Affinity Photo I was determined to understand what I could do with this new program.

I created this file simply because I had just finished work on an image and the program was still open when I started to enact my thoughts on the next quiz.

Just by the by did you answer any of the questions. if so were they reasonably easy?  Cheers John

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.5.3 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3958) Home

2 hours ago, pioneer said:

Just by the by did you answer any of the questions. if so were they reasonably easy?

In addition to the ‘Country’ one (that I must have been able to answer in order to know there was an extra blank) I managed to figure out the book, the film, the sport, the song and the well-known saying without much difficulty. The others are currently proving elusive.

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, pioneer said:

Just by the by did you answer any of the questions. if so were they reasonably easy? 

Most were reasonably easy, although some needed a lot of digging out from memory.

I got them all except one - the 'famous landmark' question has currently got me stumped.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

7 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Most were reasonably easy, although some needed a lot of digging out from memory.

I got them all except one - the 'famous landmark' question has currently got me stumped.

Elaboration on this one I have altered the wording to Famous London Landmark if that helps.  

12 minutes ago, pioneer said:

I have altered the wording to Famous London Landmark if that helps.

Not really, John, but thanks anyway! :D

I was going to post earlier to say that now I know the film character I can’t understand why I didn’t get it straight away, and that I also worked out what the cocktail is. I got distracted before I could post my remarks, and my draft message seems to have disappeared.

I still don’t know either of the two ‘famous’ things.

Alfred spacer.png

I’ve got the London landmark one now. Duh!

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You could say that the place has ‘gone to the dogs’.

I thought of that immediately after I got the answer to that one. (I still haven’t identified the ship.)

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I still haven’t identified the ship.

58 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If you can’t get it now dear, think about it a bit more and you might petal.

15 minutes ago, Return said:

Scrooby [sic] doo.

Well, at least I’m keeping my audience entertained! xD

Alfred spacer.png

I'm buying a T; or was that another game show? 🤔😂

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 24H2 (26100.1150)

Affinity Suite V 2.5.3 & Beta 2.(latest)
Interested in a free (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Why pay for an antivirus program when you can get the same security level
with the free Microsoft Windows Defender?

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

I thought of that immediately after I got the answer to that one. (I still haven’t identified the ship.)

blooming month?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

5 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

blooming month?

Too late, but thanks anyway.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

If you can’t get it now dear, think about it a bit more and you might petal.

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

You could say that the place has had ‘gone to the dogs’.

Plop!! and the answer came.

Thanks for the prompt, Gary.

3 hours ago, pioneer said:

Elaboration on this one I have altered the wording to Famous London Landmark if that helps.  

Actually I was holding my thoughts to the UK but the answer was just too elusive when staring at the displayed letters.

Thankfully GaryP provided a clue and the answer immediately popped in there.

Damn quizzes!! 🙃😀

Just being pedantic (nothing new there!), but if the book title is what I think it is, then it should not start with the definite article.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

19 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

if the book title is what I think it is, then it should not start with the definite article.

I just did a quick web search and some editions of the book (if it’s the same one that you’re thinking of) do start with the definite article and some don’t.

My guess is that it’s a publisher/culture choice rather than anything else.

On a slightly different but related note, if we are playing by Wheel Of Fortune rules, shouldn’t there be an “R” showing in the second word of the book name since the “R”s are shown in the fourth word? (I haven’t checked the other clues for ‘missing’ letters.)

33 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Just being pedantic (nothing new there!), but if the book title is what I think it is, then it should not start with the definite article.

I still have that book after all these years, and yes, it does begin with a definite article.