You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: Freeze objects.

V2.4.02301

Hello everyone,

I have encountered a significant performance problem when using the new production version. I have taken a 63 page document containing 13 layouts, a good number of pinned objects and a data merge file.

After successfully opening the document on the last modified page, I wanted to navigate to other pages. I then found that I couldn't select an object, edit text or even activate a page. I initially suspected a software acceleration problem, but this proved to be incorrect.

The document takes a considerably long time to load. I stopped timing after 18 minutes, which is in stark contrast to the performance observed on the previous 2.3.1 version of the software where it only takes a few seconds. I came back after eating, and the software was finally unblocked. The same thing happens every time the file is opened.

This is obviously a major bug.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter. I remain at your disposal for any further information you may require.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Hey, @Chris B,

I can provide files and a recording, but only on a confidential and private basis. The bug does not appear on version 2.3.1.2217. and is reversible after a considerable time after each opening.

No key combination on the keyboard seems to resolve this malfunction.

Edited by Pyanepsion
New comment

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

@Jon P I sent the AFPUB file (without the images or the data merge file), and a video showing the screen freezing.

I've just had the same issue with being unable to select a newly inserted text frame. Having read this thread, I was able to select & delete in layers. Didn't try editing it as it only had 2 words in it. Since deleting that I have created a new text box & so far, seem to be able to edit as normal

The problem is different from what was mentioned in previous discussions.

@DebSki, as Jon P’s reply suggested, by not reproducing the bug without the linked files, the reason was here the linked Affinity files in a old version. By reregistering each of the 51 files with the new version of the suite, the file ‘freeze.afpub now opens correctly.

@Jon P, The bug can be reproduced. I have created a new archive using the old versions of the linked parts, some of which sometimes contain another file themselves. I’ve anonymized the main file and then sorted the old linked files by type: afdesign, afpub, jpg, png, svg, xlsx.

There’s another problem: linked afdesign images that are pinned in the templates are no longer pinned in the pages using those templates.