You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

scanning in affinity only 600 dpi (brother scanner can scan up to: 1200 x 1200 dpi)

24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Videos captured with a handheld camera tends to be shaky and unclear, and the vertical format is less than ideal.

Firefox told me 'No video with supported format and MIME type found', and Microsoft Edge made me download a MOV file to watch in a separate application. Please learn to use the screen recording feature built into macOS.

How to record the screen on your Mac

this is what I mean.....bla bla bla. 

Folks, can we please focus on the actual subject of this thread and discuss any "formalities" elsewhere? Thanks. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

20 hours ago, loukash said:

Except that these exact symptoms are an issue that has been reported since years and which apparently affects only Affinity apps. 
All my Affinity instances – and only those – spanning three Macs running from El Capitan up to Ventura, with all compatible scanners I have:

• Epson Perfection 1240 via USB
  • Epson Perfection 3170 via USB
  • HP LaserJet MFP M28 via AirPrint

I'll add that the Canon and HP scanners don't work with Affinity apps either, while they work just fine with Apple's ImageCapture, Photoshop, etc.

Not sure why, but the "File -> Acquire Image…" feature in the Affinity apps has been borked on macOS since time and memorial.

3 hours ago, Jurgen van Leyen said:

I have to post my question in a forum where people start to respond to how the videos are made and how this should be done. That really doesn't bother me...

You don't "have to" post in the forum. Interestingly … and confusingly, too, you seem to have deleted/hidden your previous post with several hand-held phone videos with your request "let me know what you think?".

3 minutes ago, Jurgen van Leyen said:

this is what I mean.....bla bla bla. 

You still appear not to understand the issue you cause when posting a phone video. See what I get on a mac: a blank screen, with the right-click option to save this as "Audio":

watchvideo.thumb.jpg.9724c39a5ce1df58d75dbd001804b310.jpg

Note, not all browsers support every possible video codec, some do it limited / with certain conditions only, others don't at all. For instance:

hevcbrowsersupport.thumb.jpg.46e1c5de2d18ad6e47b40cde9a652845.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I'll add that the Canon and HP scanners don't work with Affinity apps either, while they work just fine with Apple's ImageCapture, Photoshop, etc.

Not sure why, but the "File -> Acquire Image…" feature in the Affinity apps has been borked on macOS for since time and memorial.

I used a brother (MFC-L2730DW). all-in-one. 

and try to scan from within AP2 and AP-Beta2. same result. 

8 minutes ago, loukash said:

Folks, can we please focus on the actual subject of this thread and discuss any "formalities" elsewhere?

What is the subject of this thread: scan software interface options – or image quality … or artefacts in resulting scans and previous reports?

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

You don't "have to" post in the forum. Interestingly … and confusingly, too, you seem to have deleted/hidden your previous post with several hand-held phone videos with your request "let me know what you think?".

You still appear not to understand the issue you cause when posting a phone video. See what I get on a mac: a blank screen, with the right-click option to save this as "Audio":

watchvideo.thumb.jpg.9724c39a5ce1df58d75dbd001804b310.jpg

Note, not all browsers support every possible video codec, some do it limited / with certain conditions only, others don't at all. For instance:

hevcbrowsersupport.thumb.jpg.46e1c5de2d18ad6e47b40cde9a652845.jpg

i HAVE to post my questions about problems in AP2 in a forum.  the requested that...

and about screen recording .... I used an iPhone. so what??  you didn't see it but other people did. 

50 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Videos captured with a handheld camera tends to be shaky and unclear, and the vertical format is less than ideal.

Firefox told me 'No video with supported format and MIME type found', and Microsoft Edge made me download a MOV file to watch in a separate application. Please learn to use the screen recording feature built into macOS.

How to record the screen on your Mac

and about screen recording .... I used an iPhone. so what??  you didn't see the video? but other people did. 

1 minute ago, Jurgen van Leyen said:

i HAVE to post my questions about problems in AP2 in a forum.  the requested that...

who/what requested that where?

4 minutes ago, Jurgen van Leyen said:

so what??  you didn't see it but other people did. 

you don't see 1200 dpi with 'Acquire' but other people do.  so what??

Sooo…

Highly interesting observation on my part:
All of a sudden, scanning from Epson 3170 via APh "Acquire Image" works today without the distortion that I was experiencing only last night! :82_heart_eyes_cat:
I'm truly puzzled because this is likely the first time ever. 
The only "unusual" steps I did were:

• forgot to turn off the scanner overnight (silly me)
  • made a 12800 dpi (that I typed in manually because there's no such menu option) test scan via Image Capture first (nice as expected)
  • made a similar 12800 dpi test scan via Acquire Image that resulted in a nice undistorted image (yay!)

Sadly, this does not apply to the HP LaserJet scanner via AirPrint: still the same distorted image as ever.

Next up to do:

• reboot the MacBook and Epson 3170 to check if this "status" will stick
  • go to my studio, find the buried Epson 1240 to see how it performs on Ventura and via Acquire Image

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 minutes ago, GripsholmLion said:

I didn't see it either. And that attitude is not conducive to getting help.

oke.  but do I have to read this????

I just asking a question about something...instead of getting an answer I got nag nag nag about how to take a screen recording.  

I can't ask the question directly to the makers of AP2.. they advised me to ask it in this forum....

and placed a video with it to show THE RESULT 

(maybe use a different browser or something so you can see the video.. )

7 minutes ago, Jurgen van Leyen said:

I can't ask the question directly to the makers of AP2.. they advised me to ask it in this forum....

Welcome to screaming into the void.

If you're lucky someone from Serif might log the issue for the developers to fix, maybe, at some point in the distant future…

In the meantime, random folks will appear to tell you "you're holding it wrong", or give you a series of complex workarounds, or go on about some arcane reference that has nothing to do with your original post.

Welcome, and enjoy.

6 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Welcome to screaming into the void.

If you're lucky someone from Serif might log the issue for the developers to fix, maybe, at some point in the distant future…

In the meantime, random folks will appear to tell you "you're holding it wrong", or give you a series of complex workarounds, or go on about some arcane reference that has nothing to do with your original post.

Welcome, and enjoy.

Yes and they nagging about screen recordings

37 minutes ago, loukash said:

Next up to do:

• reboot the MacBook and Epson 3170 to check if this "status" will stick

So… after reboot (MBA 15" Ventura), Acquire Image still works with Epson 3170, also in APh v1. Let's see for how long it will persist. :) 
It still doesn't work with HP LaserJet.

Still puzzled. O.o

1 hour ago, loukash said:

The only "unusual" steps I did were:

• forgot to turn off the scanner overnight (silly me)
  • made a 12800 dpi (that I typed in manually because there's no such menu option) test scan via Image Capture first (nice as expected)
  • made a similar 12800 dpi test scan via Acquire Image that resulted in a nice undistorted image (yay!)

Though your distorted image maybe a different issue than that of this thread about interface resolution menu options: I'm wondering if your sudden, incidental success with the resulting image quality may be due to the connection quality between the scanner and computer. (cable, plugs, sockets) – Possibly one of your scanners offers an Ethernet port for alternative trials? Or wireless (like macOS "Airprint")?

20 minutes ago, loukash said:

So… after reboot (MBA 15" Ventura), Acquire Image still works with Epson 3170, also in APh v1. Let's see for how long it will persist. :) 
It still doesn't work with HP LaserJet.

Still puzzled. O.o

You are indeed blessed, as The Incoherent Gods of Affinity Image Acquisition look kindly upon you, for now.

1 hour ago, Bryan Rieger said:

The original post was actually answered in the first couple of posts following it. The OP then asked (rather vaguely) about poor quality scans, but apparently objects to being asked to provide screen recordings that clearly show the problem. Therefore "random folks" are doing their best to help, with what little information they have been given. I am a little surprised that so many "random folks" actually bother to try to help some people in these forums, when all they get for their efforts are rudeness and insults!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

a different issue than that of this thread about interface resolution menu options

The OP has asked about both isuues, so we're still on topic. :) 

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I'm wondering if your sudden, incidental success with the resulting image quality may be due to the connection quality between the scanner and computer. (cable, plugs, sockets)

Of course, that was my thought as well.
No worries, I've been doing Mac troubleshooting (even paid) for over 30 years by now. I know the drill. ;) 
But for today, further investigations on my part will have to wait. There are other priorities ahead…

• Staff

HI @Jurgen van Leyen,

For the quality issue and from what i could see in the recording, it looks the same issue as here, which is already logged with the Developers.  Along with a few other issues with the Acquire image function.

@loukashI agree something is broken here, could be the way we are talking to the scanner driver but i'm guessing there.  I see its now working for you, did you change anything about how its connect to your Mac?

We do have a log with the Developers which i've just updated and will also be raising internally as this clearly isn't working as intended for a number of users.  

2 hours ago, stokerg said:

it looks the same issue as here

Oops!

You do not have permission to view this topic.

A hidden thread?

2 hours ago, stokerg said:

I see its now working for you, did you change anything about how its connect to your Mac?

This is what I'm trying to figure out.

• today I only had the Epson scanner connected, nothing else
  • yesterday I also had a CD drive connected to the other USB/TB port
  • other times I also had the Line6 HX Stomp audio interface connected to the other port
  • last year I was using an old USB-B-to-USB-A cable with a USB-C adapter
  • since a few months I'm using new 4 m long USB-B-to-USB-C cables to connect the scanner and the audio interface
  • sometimes I was connecting the scanner through a hub

In all instances, only APh Acquire Image scanning was affected, not Image Capture.

Next up:

• to check if anything has changed when using the 2012 MBP, either from El Capitan (v1) or from Catalina (v2)

• Staff
14 hours ago, loukash said:

A hidden thread?

Yup thats my mistake.  Hadn't spotted that was in the Archived section of the Forums.  Here's one that isn't Archived: 

14 hours ago, loukash said:

This is what I'm trying to figure out.

• today I only had the Epson scanner connected, nothing else
  • yesterday I also had a CD drive connected to the other USB/TB port
  • other times I also had the Line6 HX Stomp audio interface connected to the other port
  • last year I was using an old USB-B-to-USB-A cable with a USB-C adapter
  • since a few months I'm using new 4 m long USB-B-to-USB-C cables to connect the scanner and the audio interface
  • sometimes I was connecting the scanner through a hub

In all instances, only APh Acquire Image scanning was affected, not Image Capture.

Next up:

• to check if anything has changed when using the 2012 MBP, either from El Capitan (v1) or from Catalina (v2)

Wonder if having multiple devices connected is affecting things? I know the few times i've tried this when i had a scanner in the past it worked and i would only of had the scanner connected to my Mac at the time.

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

Wonder if having multiple devices connected is affecting things? I know the few times i've tried this when i had a scanner in the past it worked and i would only of had the scanner connected to my Mac at the time.

Hmm, when I saw this I was reminded that I always use my MacBook Pro connected to an external monitor when I use my scanner. I unplugged everything, restarted and then tried to use the Acquire… feature in Affinity. Unfortunately, with only my scanner (Canon LiDE 400) connected the problem remains.