You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD - rough/fast understanding SYMBOLS

Symbols and UI-design.... That seems like 2 things.. i have ever looked for....:-) 

Finally AD has this inside????

As far i have i tested, yet...

OK... it seems that whole Groups- as symbols  are possible?

it seems that i can resizes individual symbols, but not the group (proportionally) 

It seems also i can also re-place/resize any symbol... but also not the group... its first ok we with me!

Thats a HUGE TIME SAVER!!!!

I never thought WHOLE GROUPS and all stuff inside could be a "SYMBOL", but it it is.... And this so much TIME_SAVER...  (its W and H dimension and some other parts will EXCLUDE from make "similar"... but the rest it will ... EVEN for UI-Design... (with pixel accurate settings) this will work!

Great work. thank you AD!
I didn't see the ADVANTAGE of this till yesterday;_)

But that's my problem!

I´m " old-white-man -enough" to try other ways... and in fact...there is another way...but why is for this no Right-click (for my young students) and a select/ make SYMBOL_Copy special there you want???? Why this wide way? SAME for EXPORT persona...  why no simple RIGHT-CLICK to make SLICE.... why do you goes such ways SERIF????

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

On 2/5/2024 at 4:39 PM, kaffeeundsalz said:

Affinity Designer has had symbols since version 1.5 which came out in 2016.

I fail to see the difficulty of Shift+Command+K.

I came not from ADOBE...

I do not can the "industry.standard-key command" Shift+Command+K.

For me.. symbols (as such) are really new... to key-commands and "place-faster"... for this and other special stunts... i will maybe later (give my 2 cents)... but so far... i`m  really happy with it :_))))

22 minutes ago, Polygonius said:

...but why is for this no Rightclick (for my young students) and a selec/ make SYMBOL_Copy special there you want???? Why this wide way? SAME for EXPORT persona...  why no simple RIGHTCLICK to make SLICE.... why do you goes such ways SERIF????

for your young students: rouph ant fust: bcourse tuim s monnie. (P.S.: wy is not symplo avery comand in da raitklik?)

Or: to avoid why-questions with complaints about loooong right-click menus that may require scrolling + make it tricky to find a wanted command …

righ-clickmenu3.jpg.e8899e58bfeb111b0df47bde9e494edb.jpg

righ-clickmenu2.jpg.ba8bb67f3695346f98f9a3a2abc34de2.jpg

righ-clickmenu1.jpg.895f33e1d740e7abecfeada217c4b040.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

for your young students: rouph ant fust: bcourse tuim s monnie. (P.S.: wy is not symplo avery comand in da raitklik?)

Or: to avoid why-questions with complaints about loooong right-click menus that may require scrolling + make it tricky to find a wanted command …

@thomaso:
I dont know.... is this REAL Spanish?

Even if, i answer also NOT in meiner HEIMATSPRACHE = deutsch....

@ Thomasso

BUR thanks for MIRROR ME!!!!  (I am also often "Qeustion/answer such BREI (Pampa/ gulasch----) with different langugues... ... its nice to get (sometimes)  a MIRORR, thank you!!!!

18 hours ago, Polygonius said:

I do not can the "imndustry.standard-key command" Shift+Command+K.

Shift+Command+K is hardly the industry standard for creating a symbol (at least to my knowledge), it's just the keyboard shortcut that Serif chose to assign to this function. Since it triggers a menu command (Layer > Create Symbol), it's configurable! Just choose whatever key combination seems appropriate to you.

6 hours ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Shift+Command+K is hardly the industry standard for creating a symbol (at least to my knowledge), it's just the keyboard shortcut that Serif chose to assign to this function. Since it triggers a menu command (Layer > Create Symbol), it's configurable! Just choose whatever key combination seems appropriate to you.

Well, -  all AFF-products lets happily CONFIG my own key-strokes... so, i dont know what my post for ;-)

Maybe the missing possibilty in KEY_STROKE-panel... i can not look / search / jump to...  for any stroke/command/conflict...????

3 hours ago, Polygonius said:

Maybe the missing possibilty in KEY_STROKE-panel... i can not look / search / jump to...  for any stroke/command/conflict...????

In Affinity for mac the keyboard shortcuts are sorted like the commands in the main menu. To search for the position of a command you can use the Help menu and enter the command in its search. This will auto-open the according menu and highlight the entry. This enables you to notice the path for the shortcut inside the Affinity preference window.

14 hours ago, thomaso said:

In Affinity for mac the keyboard shortcuts are sorted like the commands in the main menu. To search for the position of a command you can use the Help menu and enter the command in its search. This will auto-open the according menu and highlight the entry. This enables you to notice the path for the shortcut inside the Affinity preference window.

Yeah, but ists really wide-window!  Why not a "search for  Keystrokes/Menu-Orders... " and a directly  "Jump tump to conflicting canditats?".....

Even lot of OSX-FREEWARE Apps can do this!!!

A really good example of "how to manage your keystrokes" is BITWIG STDUIO (BWS)! Well, its an AUDIO_APP (a DAW) but similar or even more more complex to AD.

The BWS "keytsrtoke manager" is really 9 point 9,472 of 10!!!!! For complex apps (like all SERIF-products) a similar "keytsrtoke manager" should be exist!

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

Yeah, but ists really wide-window!  Why not a "search for  Keystrokes/Menu-Orders... " and a directly  "Jump tump to conflicting canditats?".....

Even lot of OSX-FREEWARE Apps can do this!!! – A really good example of "how to manage your keystrokes" (…) For complex apps (like all SERIF-products) a similar "keytsrtoke manager" should be exist!

"Why"-questions are always tricky and easy to answer, for instance: "because it was designed this way, not another" or "because time is money" or "because improvements get added with every update while keyboard shortcut management isn't on top of the priority list" or …

Remember, you created this thread with the keywords "rough/fast understanding SYMBOLS" … which, imho, explicitly doesn't ask for detailed views but just "rough/fast" instead. Your turn in the thread from symbol handling over "why no right-click menu entry?" to "why no keyboard shortcut search?" to "listen how others work" makes me wonder:

Why not doing a forum search for existing feature requests? Why not creating a new feature request in the appropriate forum, especially implemented for feature requests? Why not using "OSX-FREEWARE" that offers the wanted options? Why don't all apps have a corresponding free version? Why do we buy Affinity? Why do people need to write to the forum? Why do others always fail to do things as expected – except me? Why is the world not simply the way we want it to be? … etc.

• Staff

I have hidden some replies to this thread. 

Please remember our forum guidelines when posting, such as: 

1. Be nice. Do not insult, harass, or "SHOUT" at anyone. Any personal criticism or attacks will immediately result in your account being suspended or removed.
  2. Try not to multi-post the same issue. It really helps us and our community out if you search the forum first to see if your topic has already been covered.
  3. This is a tech forum for like-minded creative individuals using Affinity apps. Please keep conversations on topic - this isn’t the place to talk politics, or last night’s footie score. 

I am currently Out of Office, please tag @Affinity Info Bot in your replies for another member of QA to see. 

How to format a bug report | List of V2 FAQ's | Affinity Photo (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Designer (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Publisher (V2) Tutorials

44 minutes ago, EmT said:

I have hidden some replies to this thread. 

Fair enough. My apologies. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 2/7/2024 at 2:23 PM, thomaso said:

Remember, you created this thread with the keywords "rough/fast understanding SYMBOLS" … which, imho, explicitly doesn't ask for detailed views but just "rough/fast" instead. Your turn in the thread from symbol handling over "why no right-click menu entry?" to "why no keyboard shortcut search?" to "listen how others work" makes me wonder:

Why not doing a forum search for existing feature requests? Why not creating a new feature request in the appropriate forum, especially implemented for feature requests? Why not using "OSX-FREEWARE" that offers the wanted options? Why don't all apps have a corresponding free version? Why do we buy Affinity? Why do people need to write to the forum? Why do others always fail to do things as expected – except me? Why is the world not simply the way we want it to be? … etc.

Thats right ;-) 

But my brain is sometimes to fast jumping/jongleuering themes... if the situitaion "leads" me from A to X....

Of course, i cannot expect, that everyone will follow my mental-jumps! Sorry!

5 hours ago, Polygonius said:

But my brain is sometimes to fast jumping/jongleuering themes... if the situitaion "leads" me from A to X....

"It's not me, it's my brain."

Isn't it up to you (as writer of your posts) to follow your brain's thoughts and control your typing or translating speed? – Otherwise you could add "fast/rough" to any of your posts, just as an excuse in advance.

There is an Asian proverb: "We don't have much time, we have to proceed slowly." – "Wir haben wenig Zeit, wir müssen langsam vorgehen."

Als Alternative kannst du auch auf deutsch schreiben, das könnte es für Dich + das Forum weniger missverständlich machen. – Stichwort "milk-girl-equalation by inti-post", … daran scheitert auch ein Übersetzungsprogramm, das es dagegen aus dem Deutschen für englischsprachiges Publikum fehlerfrei hinbekommt (milkmaid bill), … wenn Tipp-Fehler* den Inhalt nicht zusätzlich verschlüsseln: "inti" = anti?
*die allerdings nichts mit Denk-Geschwindigkeit zu tun haben, sondern mehr für Nicht-Hingucker typisch sind.

19 hours ago, thomaso said:

"It's not me, it's my brain."

Isn't it up to you (as writer of your posts) to follow your brain's thoughts and control your typing or translating speed? – Otherwise you could add "fast/rough" to any of your posts, just as an excuse in advance.

There is an Asian proverb: "We don't have much time, we have to proceed slowly." – "Wir haben wenig Zeit, wir müssen langsam vorgehen."

Als Alternative kannst du auch auf deutsch schreiben, das könnte es für Dich + das Forum weniger missverständlich machen. – Stichwort "milk-girl-equalation by inti-post", … daran scheitert auch ein Übersetzungsprogramm, das es dagegen aus dem Deutschen für englischsprachiges Publikum fehlerfrei hinbekommt (milkmaid bill), … wenn Tipp-Fehler* den Inhalt nicht zusätzlich verschlüsseln: "inti" = anti?
*die allerdings nichts mit Denk-Geschwindigkeit zu tun haben, sondern mehr für Nicht-Hingucker typisch sind.

Nice tipps / gute Tipps ;-)

It rains dogs and cats / es regnet Pech und Schwefel.... 

Thanks/ Danke!