You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font changes in exported PDF files, Publisher 2.4.0 (2222) Mac

Hi all. In the latest version of Publisher (2.4.0 (2222)), when I export a group of pages to PDF, all italics have changed from Times New Roman to some other sans serif font (Helvetica?). This is regatrdless of the setttings and opening in both Preview and Acrobat. Bold and other styles are unaffected. Any ideas?

Hi @PaulSelden,

This seems to be working for me... are you on Mac or Windows?

It sounds like you may have a font conflict but having said that, does it work correctly in Publisher v2.3.1? If you check the font properties in Acrobat Reader what font is shown as the substitute for Times New Roman Italic?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Thanks for your reply. I am on Mac (see post title). It worked OK for me earlier this week, but not after I upgraded to the new beta yesterday. According to Acrobat Pro it is Helvetica, and it is plain, not italic. I checked the original Publisher, and I get the same result whether I use Command-I or italic text style.

Paul

5 minutes ago, PaulSelden said:

(see post title)

Oops, apologies, totally missed that 🙃

Are you using Font Book for your font management, if so, does it correctly display Times New Roman Italic without indicating any font conflicts?

Could you perhaps upload a simple Publisher document that includes some text using Times New Roman Italic so we can see how it's interpreted when we open the file...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Can you reproduce this in a sample document, and share the .afpub and an exported .PDF?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @PaulSelden,

Many thanks for your files, both Publisher 2.3.1 and 2.4.0 recognise Times New Roman Italic and Times New Roman Bold Italic correctly and for me at least export the file to PDF without issue which still leads me to believe there is likely a font conflict on your Mac...

If you disable Times New Roman in your Font Manager and then open your Publisher file what do you see in terms of the recognised fonts or are they all shown as Missing?

Thanks. Sorry for the delay; been out to eat. You will need to explain the Font Manager. Is this the list of fonts in Publisher, top left on the bar above the document? Or is it part of the Mac system? How do I disable fonts? Paul

2 hours ago, PaulSelden said:

You will need to explain the Font Manager. Is this the list of fonts in Publisher, top left on the bar above the document? Or is it part of the Mac system? How do I disable fonts?

If you don't use anything else than the standard macOS tools as font manager, you just need to launch the FontBook app in your apps folder. 

Then,
To disable fonts: 
https://support.apple.com/en-us/guide/font-book/fntb2bcb512d/11.0/mac/14.0

To validate fonts and check for doublons (i.e. font conflicts): https://support.apple.com/en-us/guide/font-book/fntbk1000/11.0/mac/14.0

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Since you are on a Mac I assume you got Times New Roman from Office 365 for Mac.
And we have seen some reports here in the forum that Microsoft has started restricting Office 365 fonts to use only in Office 365 applications.

Do you have Office 365 for Mac installed, or just have the fonts installed?
I think if you just have the fonts installed on your Mac they should work,
because there is no O365 controlling the fonts.

Can you use Times New Roman in an Apple Pages doc and export it to PDF?

EDIT: I forgot TNR is also installed with macOS.
So I wonder if you have a conflict.
Do you have Office 365 for Mac installed?

4 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

Since you are on a Mac I assume you got Times New Roman from Office 365 for Mac. […]

It looks like these fonts are also included with macOS (at least with Sonoma):

• Times New Roman Version 5.01.4x
  • Times New Roman Bold Version 5.01.4x
  • Times New Roman Bold Italic Version 5.00.3x
  • Times New Roman Italic Version 5.00.3x

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213773

5 minutes ago, Oufti said:

It looks like these fonts are also included with macOS (at least with Sonoma):

Yeah, I just went to check if it was a "Document-support font" and found it is still a standard font installed with the OS (checked Ventura and Sonoma).

So now I am wondering if he has O365 installed and that is creating a conflict.
If that is not it, I am out of ideas.

1 minute ago, kenmcd said:

So now I am wondering if he has O365 installed and that is creating a conflict.
If that is not it, I am out of ideas.

The OP could follow the above mentioned links to see what's going on:

OK. I know it as Font Book. That makes sense. No, I do not have any Microsoft software installed, so I presume it is the standard fonts installed with the system. I will investigate further later today. Thanks everyone.

Looking in Font Book, I see there are copies of Times New Roman (and styles) in lots of different places. I also seem to have a folder of MS Office fonts, which must have been acquired many years ago and not removed. Some are OpenType and some TrueType. Can anyone suggest how to tidy this up and maybe clear up the problem?

Thanks, Paul

image.png.5f42a97ea052395006f6de238e3a896b.png

• Staff

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know I can reproduce this here on 2 machines (both Sonoma without MS Office installed) using both your document and a new document. Both Italic and Bold Italic TNR are being exported out incorrectly as you're seeing - I did a quick try using Arial and that seemed OK. It does look to be a regression in this build so I will get it logged.

Which version of macOS are you using? I'll check to see if this is ok on earlier versions of macOS too!

• Staff
13 hours ago, PaulSelden said:

I am using macOS Sonoma Beta 14.3 (23D5051b). Paul

Thanks for that - I cannot reproduce the issue on a Parallels VM with fresh installs of either Monterey or Ventura, however I can reproduce it on a Parallels VM with a fresh install of Sonoma 14.0, so it certainly looks to be a Sonoma only issue and a regression from 2.3.1.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...