You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity showing greyscale with yellow tint

Your document is CMYK.

This is at least unexpected and a probable cause or co-factor.

Having document in cmyk, a rectangle with rgb based gradient, and sampling in rgb again introduces double-conversion (rgb to cmyk, cmyk to rgb)  and rich black / K-only black issues.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

50 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Your document is CMYK.

This is at least unexpected and a probable cause or co-factor.

Having document in cmyk, a rectangle with rgb based gradient, and sampling in rgb again introduces double-conversion (rgb to cmyk, cmyk to rgb)  and rich black / K-only black issues.

Hi - I don't understand how that happened. I'd converted to rgb as you said. It seems to have converted itself back! Anyway, is this correct?

Test for greyscale sRGB.afphoto

3 minutes ago, Charles Harris said:

Anyway, is this correct?

Try creating a completely new document - RGB/8, sRGB profile, white paper, draw a rectangle with a gray gradient, and send a screenshot.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

And please embed (not link) the screenshot.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

57 minutes ago, Charles Harris said:

Hi - I don't understand how that happened. I'd converted to rgb as you said. It seems to have converted itself back! Anyway, is this correct?

Test for greyscale sRGB.afphoto 627.03 kB · 0 downloads

No, again. It is RGB/32, you will never use this for printing.

Use RGB/16 or RGB/8.

If you have any chance, let someone with IT knowledge check your PC onsite. It seems you find every possible way to creatively misinterpret the advise from the forum. Trying to help remotely via messages and screenshots has its limits.

On 2/14/2024 at 7:33 PM, Charles Harris said:

Is this what you mean?

sRGB navig panel Screenshot 2024-02-14 183027.png

We can stop here. The screenshot shows color panel in wrong colors.

There is something broken either with Affinity installation or with color profiles in OS. It does not make any sense to test with document or color settings inside Affinity.

3 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Try creating a completely new document - RGB/8, sRGB profile, white paper, draw a rectangle with a gray gradient, and send a screenshot.

Hi @Charles Harris, Try opening this file Gradient test.afphoto, which looks like this to me:

image.thumb.png.ae916f7719f6ee572ab790690a28ef18.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 1/6/2024 at 2:51 PM, Charles Harris said:

This is what I did:

• Search for Colour Management from the Start menu and click to open.
  • In the Devices tab, select the correct monitor from the Devices dropdown menu and make sure Use my settings for this device is selected.
  • Now click Add... and select sRGB IEC61966-2.1 from the list and click OK. The sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile should now appear in the Profiles associated with this device: section.
    If there is already a profile associated with the monitor, please use the Remove option first, to ensure the monitor is using the newly appointed sRGB profile.
  • Select the profile and click Set as Default Profile to make it the default.
  • Close the Colour Management window and restart your Affinity app.

What else do you recommend?

Colour Management 1.png

The sRGB ICM profile in your screenshot is listed under "ICC Profiles (Advanced Colour)".  Therefore, remove the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (default)" profile and add it again without ticking the "Add as Advanced Colour Profile" tick box.  This alone is likely not causing your issue, however it will cause a problem in combination with other settings, therefore it needs changing.  

Secondly, it appears a faulty ICC/ICM monitor colour profile is still being used from somewhere, which is odd as it should now be using the generic "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" profile that you've set as the default Windows colour management profile.  Therefore, click on the "Advanced" tab in Windows Colour Management and check what's listed for the "Device profile" (as per below screenshot).

ScreenshotA.png.901a2a705ac692eb4aaa316de43bec3c.png

Finally, on the Windows Colour Management "Devices" tab, the top dropdown menu currently shows Display 1.  I assume you're only using one display and there's not a Display 2 listed as well?

17 hours ago, - S - said:

The sRGB ICM profile in your screenshot is listed under "ICC Profiles (Advanced Colour)".  Therefore, remove the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (default)" profile and add it again without ticking the "Add as Advanced Colour Profile" tick box.  This alone is likely not causing your issue, however it will cause a problem in combination with other settings, therefore it needs changing.  

Secondly, it appears a faulty ICC/ICM monitor colour profile is still being used from somewhere, which is odd as it should now be using the generic "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" profile that you've set as the default Windows colour management profile.  Therefore, click on the "Advanced" tab in Windows Colour Management and check what's listed for the "Device profile" (as per below screenshot).

ScreenshotA.png.901a2a705ac692eb4aaa316de43bec3c.png

Finally, on the Windows Colour Management "Devices" tab, the top dropdown menu currently shows Display 1.  I assume you're only using one display and there's not a Display 2 listed as well?

Wow! Amazing, - S - Thank you. I think you've solved it. I don't know what you asked me to do that I hadn't done earlier, but it's now showing greyscale perfectly. And you explained what I had to do very clearly, which made your instructions easy to follow. Thanks again. Fingers crossed that it will stay that way now. 

And thank you for everyone else who had the patience to try to help with this thread too. I appreciate your time and care. 

@Charles Harris Could you please provide a screen shot of the corrected screen? Please show the gradient as in the previous screen shots you provided. I've been following this and am curious because I have some similar issues. Thanks!

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.