You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

applying master in publisher suddenly not working anymore

Hi all.

I have a problem and I can't find the cause.

suddenly I can't seem to select another master anymore.

so: I have a document with multiple masters in it (say master A, master B, and master C)

When I add a new page to the document it is not possible anymore to select another master than only the first master.

Before this used to work fine and I dont recall changing anything. except updating mac OS. 

(there is a complex way to still do it via de master so create the page first with another master then go the right master and apply it to the desired page number, so it IS possible to change the master but NOT in the normal logical way)

It seems to do this for every new document I create. is this a known bug? of am I missing a setting?

anyone any idea?

Thanks,

Diederik

mac os 14.1.2

affinity 1.10.8

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 13.58.50.png

Edited by diederiks

Hi @diederiks and welcome to the forums,

Your screenshot would seem to indicate that you have Master Pages named 'Master A', 'second page' and 'third page'... Are 'second page' and 'third page' not just renamed Master Pages?

If not, could you upload a sample document where you see the issue happening so we can take a look?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

7 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @diederiks and welcome to the forums,

Your screenshot would seem to indicate that you have Master Pages named 'Master A', 'second page' and 'third page'... Are 'second page' and 'third page' not just renamed Master Pages?

If not, could you upload a sample document where you see the issue happening so we can take a look?

hi @Hangman  ok maybe my example was confusing. here is an example with the masters properly named master A master B and master C.

so it is here where the problem arrives: I add a new page, I select the master I want to apply to it. I can select and open the dropdown with all masters (see example) i can even select master B (although it is not easy; I need to go over it from the bottom up) but then it won't actually set the choice to that master and stays on master A. so i cant change the choice for the master. 

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 14.46.44.png

Hi @diederiks,

Thanks for clarifying...

Is this happening with just this one particular Publisher document or does it happen with all Newly created Publisher documents...

I've just tried it in 1.10.8 and I'm not seeing any issues so I'm slightly baffled at the moment...

When you say "I can even select master B (although it is not easy; I need to go over it from the bottom up)" could you elaborate on what you mean by that?

I have a feeling a screen recording may be helpful so we can see the problem as you are experiencing it.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

1 minute ago, Hangman said:

Hi @diederiks,

Thanks for clarifying...

Is this happening with just this one particular Publisher document or does it happen with all Newly created Publisher documents...

I've just tried it in 1.10.8 and I'm not seeing any issues so I'm slightly baffled at the moment...

When you say "I can even select master B (although it is not easy; I need to go over it from the bottom up)" could you elaborate on what you mean by that?

I have a feeling a screen recording may be helpful so we can see the problem as you are experiencing it.

hi @Hangman it started with an existing document I use often. suddenly I can't select the masters anymore. then I retried it in a new document. that is the one you see in my exemple. same problem. Then I reinstalled affinity to see if that would solve the problem. still there. not sure how i can make a screen recording, but it is this: I can open the dropdown with the masters, point at master B or C, but it just wont change the chosen master and stays on master A. 

With the Master Page field having focus but without activating the drop-down list in your screenshot can you select the required Master page by using the up/down arrow keys?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 minutes ago, diederiks said:

hi @Hangman it started with an existing document I use often. suddenly I can't select the masters anymore. then I retried it in a new document. that is the one you see in my exemple. same problem. Then I reinstalled affinity to see if that would solve the problem. still there. not sure how i can make a screen recording, but it is this: I can open the dropdown with the masters, point at master B or C, but it just wont change the chosen master and stays on master A. 

hereby a screen recording:

Hi @diederiks,

Here are some instructions on how to make a screen recording... Could you perhaps also upload a sample file as well...

The only other thing I can think to try is a Factory Reset of Publisher which you can do by holding the Ctrl Key when launching Publisher, then when the Clear User Data window appears, leave the first three items checked and then hit 'Clear' and let Publisher finish launching, to see whether or not that fixes the issue.

Note: Doing a factory reset will reset any custom UI settings you've made back to the factory defaults so these will need to be reset, i.e., tools, toolbar, Presets etc.,

Edit: You beat me to it with your screen recording so ignore the previous comment, could you instead just upload a sample file so we can take a closer look?

Hi @diederiks,

Thanks for the sample file...

It certainly does appear to be a local problem as I'm having no issues applying any Master to New Pages in Publisher 1.10.8 using your test file...

I'm slightly at a loss as to what else to suggest...

Likely not going to make any difference but, if you haven't already, have you tried rebooting your Mac to see if it makes any difference?

11 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @diederiks,

Thanks for the sample file...

It certainly does appear to be a local problem as I'm having no issues applying any Master to New Pages in Publisher 1.10.8 using your test file...

I'm slightly at a loss as to what else to suggest...

Likely not going to make any difference but, if you haven't already, have you tried rebooting your Mac to see if it makes any difference?

@Hangman just did. same problem. so by now i have: reïnstalled affinity publisher, reset it to factory settings, rebooted my macbook. the only thing i can imagine is that there is a setting that might control this that i dont know of that is saved in my mac os. otherwise the only change I made is updating my mac os. what version are you working on? 

Hi @diederiks,

I'm running Montrery but if there is an issue with 14.1.2 I would have expected to hear from other users with similar issues even though it was only released on November 30th, but it's certainly not impossible that it could be the cause.

Hopefully, someone in the Moderation Team at Serif can also test with the same version of macOS to confirm...

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Hopefully, someone in the Moderation Team at Serif can also test with the same version of macOS to confirm...

I'm on 14.1.2, and I can select different master pages when adding pages to that sample file. So it's not something as simple as a solid error when running on Sonoma (or 14.1.2), unfortunately.

Maybe Serif will figure something out.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm on 14.1.2, and I can select different master pages when adding pages to that sample file. So it's not something as simple as a solid error when running on Sonoma (or 14.1.2), unfortunately.

Maybe Serif will figure something out.

@walt.farrell thanks for checking. am really lost then what it can be. I even reinstalled affinity. I wonder if there is anything off affinity that remains in the apple os when you delete the app.

Hi @walt.farrell,

Thanks for testing...

I'm as @diederiks, somewhat at a loss as to possible causes for this one and I'm out of ideas as to what else to try...

@diederiks, are you running any third party 'helper' apps that might have an effect on what you can select or how the mouse pointer works?

If for testing purposes you create a new user account & log into that, does the problem still occur?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

@diederiks, are you running any third party 'helper' apps that might have an effect on what you can select or how the mouse pointer works?

If for testing purposes you create a new user account & log into that, does the problem still occur?

@R C-R goodmorning, no that i know of. I just tried what you said, created a guest user, same problem there. if I am really the only one having this problem it must be something local, but its frustrating that even with deleting and reinstalling affinity the problem stays.

Is there a techinical department of affinity I can contact to ask if there are maybe elements of affinity left behind in apples systemfiles that need to be deleted aswell? 

Hi @diederiks,

Someone from the moderation team I believe will pick this up at some point so you should receive a reply from Serif...

Could you clarify something for me... I noted in your screen recording that the width of your UI seems very small, which Mac are you using and what is the screen resolution set to on your Mac?

6 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @diederiks,

Someone from the moderation team I believe will pick this up at some point so you should receive a reply from Serif...

Could you clarify something for me... I noted in your screen recording that the width of your UI seems very small, which Mac are you using and what is the screen resolution set to on your Mac?

@Hangman no it was just a zoom in of part of the screen. am on macbook 13" set to the default 1440x900

and ok will wait for them. merci

8 hours ago, diederiks said:

created a guest user, same problem there.

Another trial would be to start your mac in Safe Mode. This will boot with limited features and thus possibly excludes a culprit file from being activated. (note, it takes more time to boot and also Affinity will launch accordingly slow). How to boot in Safe Mode: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

8 hours ago, diederiks said:

even with deleting and reinstalling affinity the problem stays

I don't know if this gets removed or cleaned with un-/reinstalling and I can't judge if it influences your issue but there is a folder outside of your / the Guest user folder. It is stored in the hidden folder private/var/folders/sc/…/C/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher and contains files that seem be related to graphic rendering and to get changed over time.

privatevarfolderssc.jpg.563aacae62d02daa64af69a9eff40e37.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

test

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

test

I seem to be locked out of replying to this topic with more info. I get either a too much time has elapsed to edit error or a 'Request blocked. We can't connect to the server for this app or website at this time' one.

Affinity Photo