You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to reset Brush settings in Affinity Photo back to default

I am unable to reset the Brush settings in Affinity Photo back to default. I've tried all the Reset buttons on all the Brush - Selection tabs as well as the Reset Brushes option in the Clear User Data window. Neither starting a new project, restarting the app, or restarting my PC has resolved my issue either. I've been unable to find a solution to my problem online.

In the same screen where you saw "Clear User Data" there is a "Reset Brushes" option, did you try that?

Bear in mind this resets brushes across all your Affinity apps and you may have to reinstall any additional brush packs you have purchased

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Sorry I should have read your post better

Are you on Windows or Mac and if Windows did you install the MSIX or exe version?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Close all Affinity apps

Enter %appdata% in File Explorer then navigate to

....\Affinity\Common\2.0\user\raster_brushes.propcol"

Renaming that file to "raster_brushes.old" will force the app to recreate it when you next start the app

There is also a vector_brushes.propcol file for the vector brushes if you ever need to do that one as well

I'm having a peculiar problem of posting this reply. It keeps getting blocked. I'll try censoring some of the text until it goes through.

I should specify, I'm using Affinity Photo 1.0.

I have followed these instructions except to [REDACTED] instead. The app did indeed recreate those .propcol files upon restarting it, but it seems to have done nothing in resetting my brush back to default in the app itself.

Additionally, I have now tried uninstalling and reinstalling Affinity Photo and yet my brush settings persist.

Edit: Apparently the website doesn't like me posting the path to the relevant file. [REDACTED] is the location of the aforementioned file, but for Affinity Photo 1.0

Edited by Kahrkura
See Edit.

6 minutes ago, Kahrkura said:

but it seems to have done nothing in resetting my brush back to default in the app itself.

Can you elaborate a bit more on exactly what you mean by "resetting my brush back to default"?

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

I'll let someone else continue with this or the official support staff will be back on Monday for you

I appreciate the effort. If someone else has any advise, I'm all ears. 

Also willing to settle to just see a screenshot of the default General, Dynamics, and Texture settings on a first-time install of the app. At least then I could get back to working on my project... probably.

Edit: I've decided to just manually adjust the settings until I get close to something like what I need. Gotta get away from that sunk cost fallacy. 

Edited by Kahrkura

1 hour ago, Kahrkura said:

I'm trying to have all the settings of my brush tool (General, Dynamics, Texture) reverted to what they were before I made many changes to them. Basically I want my brush to look like what it did when I originally installed the app, that familiar circle.

From what I understand you can only reset the changes to a brush while you are editing it. Once you exit the menu you can't reset the brush. You should make a duplicate of the brush before changing the settings. I learned this the hard way.

Renaming or deleting the raster_brushes.propcol file would have:

1. Deleted all the raster brushes.
  2. Then reinstalled all the factory-installed brushes.
  3. Then (if you have any brushes installed via Account from the Affinity Store) reinstalled all of them from the Store.

At that point, any brushes that you installed manually, or created manually, would be gone. You would have to recreate them or reinstall them.

All the raster brushes at that point must be set to their default settings. There is no other choice.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
6 hours ago, Kahrkura said:

I appreciate the effort. If someone else has any advise, I'm all ears. 

Also willing to settle to just see a screenshot of the default General, Dynamics, and Texture settings on a first-time install of the app. At least then I could get back to working on my project... probably.

Edit: I've decided to just manually adjust the settings until I get close to something like what I need. Gotta get away from that sunk cost fallacy. 

Would you be able to provide a screen recording demonstrating you renaming the brushes.propcol file and then reopening the app and brushes still not being reset to default settings?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

7 hours ago, Kahrkura said:

I'm trying to have all the settings of my brush tool (General, Dynamics, Texture) reverted to what they were before I made many changes to them. Basically I want my brush to look like what it did when I originally installed the app, that familiar circle.

Would not the Reset Brushes button in the Affinity Preferences Miscellaneous section do what you want?

ScreenShot2023-11-19at8_58_58AM.png.2252553f771ba64f6592ea09c2766f22.png

ScreenShot2023-11-19at8_58_35AM.png.9c8d7d7c860f094a981c7234a115e6b5.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Would not the Reset Brushes button in the Affinity Preferences Miscellaneous section do what you want?

It should.

But so should using the Ctrl run-up (Clear User Data) dialog, and renaming raster_brushes.propcol. I wonder if we're all misinterpreting what the OP wants, or if their expectations are incorrect in some way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hopefully I've understood this correctly!

@Kahrkura perhaps frustratingly, there is no brush within all the categories that exactly mirrors the default brush settings when you first run the app. This is something I found difficult for a workflow where you switch to a textured brush but then just want a basic round brush with tight spacing (e.g. for masking purposes). The round brush presets on the Basic category have wider spacing which is insufficient for this.

Try the Masking category on the Brushes panel. They're designed to be as close as possible to the default brush, so you can pick something like "Tight Spacing - Medium Soft", then bring the Hardness up to 80% if you want to match the default brush value. These use a small spacing value so are good for painting with masks.

Alternatively, under any brush category click the panel options icon (the three bars to the right) and choose New Round Brush. This will create a basic round brush with the default parameters: Hardness at 80%, Spacing at 15%, Flow at 100% and Width at 64px.

Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

On 11/20/2023 at 12:44 AM, James Ritson said:

Hopefully I've understood this correctly!

@Kahrkura perhaps frustratingly, there is no brush within all the categories that exactly mirrors the default brush settings when you first run the app. This is something I found difficult for a workflow where you switch to a textured brush but then just want a basic round brush with tight spacing (e.g. for masking purposes). The round brush presets on the Basic category have wider spacing which is insufficient for this.

Try the Masking category on the Brushes panel. They're designed to be as close as possible to the default brush, so you can pick something like "Tight Spacing - Medium Soft", then bring the Hardness up to 80% if you want to match the default brush value. These use a small spacing value so are good for painting with masks.

Alternatively, under any brush category click the panel options icon (the three bars to the right) and choose New Round Brush. This will create a basic round brush with the default parameters: Hardness at 80%, Spacing at 15%, Flow at 100% and Width at 64px.

Hope that helps.

This.

Saved my bacon with this solution. Didn't have the time to reply until now, but you have my thanks!