You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Currency Effect - a FREE macro (NEW VERSION)

smadell

Updated Version Available (December 2023)

Recently, @christerdk posted in the "Desktop Questions" forum about trying to achieve the engraved look of U.S. currency. He was given a variety of suggestions (including one or two commercial products). Because of this, I am attaching a macro that I created several years ago and have refined a bit more recently. It is meant to approximate the look of engraved currency.

The macro uses a number of adjustments and filters, all enclosed within a Group. Because of this, the effect can be turned on and off by simply using the Hide/Show checkbox on the group itself.

The attached .afmacros file is a Macro Category and therefore should be imported from the Library panel. It contains a single macro (called "Currency Effect"). Once imported, the macro can be moved to a different category, if desired. The macro was created in Affinity Photo version 2.2 which probably means that it will not be compatible with AP version 1. However, since it is provided as a category, it can be imported into Affinity Photo 2 for iPad.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Clicking on the macro will bring up a user dialog in which you can set certain parameters:

1) Set Line Size (default = 20)

The macro uses a live Halftone filter, and this will vary the width of the lines used. In general, use larger lines for larger images.

2) Set Line Angle (default = 30 degrees)

This affects the angle at which the lines are drawn. Try various settings to achieve subtle but important differences in output.

3) Set Contrast (default = 85)

This setting also affects the embedded Halftone filter, and can change the contrast between the dark lines and the background.

4) Adjust Overall Brightness (default = -20)

This affects a Brightness and Contrast adjustment, and will lighten or darken the final image, to your taste.

When you hit the Apply button, the effect is added to your image at the top of the layer stack. Note that the effect contains only adjustments and filters; because of that, it is completely non-destructive. You can make changes to the underlying image and this will not adversely affect the result. Also, you can open the individual adjustment and filter layers to make changes even after you have hit the Apply button.

Here is an example of a Before and After image, with the User Dialog showing the settings used to create this particular variant.

CurrencyEffectExample.thumb.jpg.ec4b4297219ba0250ddaf6f75d3dfefb.jpg

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

As always, I am one person using one computer and a single iPad. I have tested this macro on both of my devices, but cannot claim that this testing has examined every possible scenario. Nevertheless, I believe that it will work as suggested. Try it and, if you like it, keep it and enjoy it. It is free for you to use in any project you would like – personal or commercial.

I ask only 2 things. If you've used the macro, please let me know by posting your impressions. Perhaps, even provide a before and after screenshot. Second, please remember that this forum is a wonderful way to learn, and an even better way to share that learning. Pay it forward.

December 2023 Update

The .afmacros file attached below is now an updated category. It can still be imported into the Affinity Photo Library panel (or into the iPad version) but it now contains 3 macros. (1) The original version of the Currency Effect is included. (2) An updated version 2 of the macro is also provided. This update adds a live Ripple filter which makes the engraved lines a bit wavy, better simulating true engraving. (3) There is an Instructions macro, which will place on-screen instructions into your Layers panel.

Please feel free to download the new file, and to replace the previous Currency Effect category with the new one. Have fun!

Currency Effects (v2).afmacros

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thank you for this again @smadell.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

Thank you for trying this out @retrograde and @tzvi20. I hope you enjoy it.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thanks, @christerdk. Thanks, @loukash. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Hope you enjoy it, @Hilltop.

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated the Currency Effect macro to version 2. This new version adds a live Ripple filter, which will give the engraving lines a bit of wave. This can be turned off (naturally!) but I think the added touch gives the engraving a bit more authenticity. There is also an Instructions macro, which will place on-screen instructions into a new layer.

The new version can be downloaded from the first post in this thread. The .afmacros category includes both the original and new versions of the macro, along with the instructions macro. You can safely delete the old version of the Currency Effect, since that original macro is included in the v2 category above.